Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Modify a DMX RGY Laser show. (with pics)

Heidi

Hi Guys,

As promised, here's my guide to bumping up the power output of a DMX RGY laser show unit.

I carefully dismantled my 350mw Laserworld EL-35RGY unit and took a few photos along the way.
I also discovered an easy way to bump up the power output using nothing more than a jewellers
screwdriver. :)
The system used TTL blanking for the red and green lasers and 10 dmx channels.
It also has 200 built in patterns + sound to light, so it can also work as a stand alone unit.

On removing the cover I was surprised to see that the unit contained 2 red lasers combined
using a splitter/combiner glass cube. Using 2 x 125w red laser modules to make approx 250mw of red.
I think this is due to reliability and price reasons. As a reliable 250mw is quite expensive using a single
diode. (without overdriving that is ;))

dichromirrorandscanners.jpg

As you can see, the optical path contains quite a few components to combine 2 red and 1 green module.

mainboard.jpg

This is the main controller PCB and dmx interface.

opticalparts.jpg

This is a closeup of the 3 laser modules and the main combiner cube and dichro mirror that
combines the red and green beams. The mirror reflects red at a 45 degree angle and the
green is allowed to pass through at a 45 degree angle.

topviewbeampaths.jpg

This is a top down view of the optical system and I've added the beam paths of each
colour of laser. Showing how the 3 beams are combined to make a yellow beam and
how they exit the x-y mirror scanning system.

laserpowerboards.jpg

To bump up the power, I used a small jewellers screwdriver on the above power
supply boards. The top board is for the green laser and the middle and bottom ones
are for the two red lasers. I gave each one an clockwise turn. (on a clock it would be
from 12 to just over 1.
I've had over one hour of runtime and all 3 lasers still run cool and no mode hopping
with the green. But they are all noticeably brighter, especially the red which used to be
noticeably dimmer than the green. also when using red and green mixed in a 12 beam
fan formation, the yellow was uch more noticeable. Before it was more green than yellow.

I hope this helps answer a few questions on how to split and combine lasers of
different wavelengths.
If you have any questions or want more pics/info. Please feel free to ask me.

Heidi :-*

drlava

Very nice work on diagramming and laying it all out simply! It's interesting to see how basic their alignment hardware is, gives me hope that my DIY alignment ideas will be successful. One beamshot would finish it off nicely, if you have one!

I like what I've seen so far. How about a video? :D
I'll bet it would be awesome!

if i was you, i would rip those psu for the all three lasers out and replace them with anlogue drivers.

dead simple to do and wouldnt cst much at all

Heidi

I was thinking of removing the stepper motor scanners and replacing them with the micro stepper motors from 2 dvd burners. I'm sure they would work better if they're smaller and lighter. I just needto work out what the step angle of the motors is. Hopefully they will be the same as the ones in the scanner at the moment.

If not, then I may get the 30k galvo and amp kit from the chines department store.
Swap one red for a higher output module and the other red for a blue module.
Then I'll have a RGB laser that can do full ILDA graphics. Then the real fun begins.

Only problem is, the money always runs out before the ideas for laser projects run out. :'(

Don't get it from CDS. Go for lasershowparts.com :p
Much better and not a bad price either. They have a discount ATM on their SCANPRO20 sets.

the motors look just like the ones i used in my cheap XY scanner i made a while back

STA71699.JPG

STA71697.JPG

Heidi

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Just been messing about with the RGY again. Noticed that one of the red modules has stopped working.
I think I'll take it out and see if one of my 16x dvd diodes wil fit in it.
If it doesn't, I've found a module with TTL power supply on ebay for £40, so might have to get one of those if the dvd laser diode won't fit.

Ace82

Do the two reds operate concurrently 100% of the time, or does one on and one off apply for color mixing or something?

Nyla

Oh wow that's totally sweet, I would attempt to make one if only I had any money or time at all...

good little layout but i would bet your red went out from over powering.

get 2 open can diodes and pump the power up a bit more.... and post some pictures of it on please