Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Modified dx200

Hi this is what i did to modifiy my dx200 to get better burining out of it and hopefully a longer life
1st I changed the battries to 2 cr123 e2's in parallel
2nd I added a cpu fan and heat sink to the laser head. tho i am worried that the brass laser housing isnt dicapting enough heat becaus the heat sink is staying way cool but that my also be that the fan is being powerd with 8nimh battries. i may never kno :|

laser side view

Attachments

• SUNP0012.JPG
    SUNP0012.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 104

better view of fan. lol i almost have enough post to whare i can use them from image shack darn 20 post rule why do spamers have to ruin every thing :(

Attachments

• SUNP0007.JPG
    SUNP0007.JPG
    851.9 KB · Views: 93
HE he he lighing match with super dx :p it goes up quick :p

Attachments

• SUNP0002.AVI
    880 KB · Views: 49

Things

WOW!! that thing is bright!!! nice work BTW! could you please get a beam shot of this thing?the beam would be really bright!

things said:
WOW!! that thing is bright!!! nice work BTW! could you please get a beam shot of this thing?the beam would be really bright!

does that thing even have a ir filter ?

S

SenKat

laserfreak3d said:
[quote author=things link=1189656857/0#4 date=1189660658]WOW!! that thing is bright!!! nice work BTW! could you please get a beam shot of this thing?the beam would be really bright!

does that thing even have a ir filter ?[/quote]

****SIGH****

LOL. Perhaps he meant "does it still have any IR filter after the mod"? or perhaps not...

Now that you have it mounted in that nifty heatsink, perhaps its time to play around with some TEC regulation? ;)

Nice! I plan on doing some power supply mods to at least one of the dimming DX's I have to see if that will cure the problem.

Jon

yes it still has the ir filter. i didnt take it that far apart and the 2 3vcr123 battries are in paralles not series the 8 nimh are in series. sorry it was like 11pm at night when i had finishd and had taken pictures. i cant really get a beam shot becaus the camera sucks lol i tried to get one and all that showd up was black with a spot whare the dot was it didnt eve get the green that lit up the room. anways ya lol i was plaing with it last night and i fould this nice tvdinner tray lol it only took like 1 min to burn throu all 3 sides if i held it steady enough it was cool i love this thing : )

here is an attemped beam shot with the camra

Attachments

• SUNP0015.JPG
    SUNP0015.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 89

Things

that thing is still really bright, you'd go blind looking at the beam from the side ;D

that thats why i ware safty glasses :cool: havent yet had the money to buy the full green gogle things but the thented saftly glasses work realy well or altlest they make me feel safter havent had them put to the test yet luckly but ya its really bright and cuts right thro the fome that was in the box that it came with i love it :p i think next i am going to hook it up to 4cr123 battries in parallel just so that way they will last longer befor i have to replace them

Warz --

Glad to see your success so far on the 200 mW labbie.  I saw your post about a week ago and you are doing real good  ;D
It will be interesting to know how this module outputs with stable power and cooling.

Mike

Benm

Nice! I plan on doing some power supply mods to at least one of the dimming DX's I have to see if that will cure the problem.

Keep us posted :)

I've been tinkering with a DX20 here that dims quite quickly on batteries... but does fine on something like 3.0 to 3.3 volts from a lab supply. Not sure how long it will survive that, but its an inexpensive unit anyways.

It does run warm quickly as it is though, so i'm considering pulling it apart and running it of a better power supply with decent cooling.

Thnks mike and who ever else complimited me :p haha hopefully this will be my first laser to ever last longer than 2 weeks would be nice eh. it still seems to be doing great tho i do think the battries are getting a lil weaker i used them on my dx50 also so they probly have 1hour on the dx 50 and probly about 20min on the 200mw wonder how much longer they will go :p

Ok i have a question. I think i kno the answer but i dont want to chance my assumption with a 120$ laser. ok if i have 2 cr123 battries in parallel it puts out 3.0V and some current i will use 1000ma. ok the laser takes this power and regulates it down to what 800ma for the dx200 and 2.2 volts right?
ok now if say i make a battrie holder that holds say 6cr123 battries it will still be 3volts but will the current go up to 3000ma becaus of less resistance becaus the laser can take power from 6diffbattries instead of just 2 or is the current constent like voltage even in parallel it says the same and the only thing affected is the power avaible mesured in mah right milla amps per hour? and a e2 cr123 battrie has what 1000mah? so if i had 6 in parallel i would have 6000mah right? now all of these figures besides the voltages i just made up becaus i really do not kno i was just using it to make it easer to read instead of using x's and y's and making it a Algebra problem :p. but if you have the right figures it would be nice.

anways thank for any replies i should be getting the battries soon and i will make a holder to go with my laser if it is safe and does not kill the diod by giving it to much current.