Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mode hopping DX 200

Just got it today... looks like another long wait while its shipped back, replacement shipped here... blah f*cking blah.

Just went and got some lithium batteries... no change.
It starts on TEM00 O
Progresses shortly to Near TEM00 OO
Then straight through TEM01 to TEM02! O O to O O O
(diagrams not to scale :p)
Three (plus a weaker fourth) dots.
Not good.
This is definitely not current or heat related.

Please don't lecture me about dealextreme, I know its a gamble at best.

But, I wanted to know if there's anything else one can do to correct mode hopping like this. Aside from sending it back or totally ripping it up.
BRB in a minute with an edit and pics.

Edit: pics here. http://picasaweb.google.com.au/cgeeky/DealExtreme200mWGreenLaser

That is horrible :-[ You can't believe that they test these before despatch.....unless it got damaged in transit of course....

Best of luck with the RMA

Regards rog8811

I have always gone with the theory that they make a batch of greenies....switch them on, brightest ones are called 200mw and get a label to suit....Dim ones are called 5mw and the ones in between go into boxes marked 10, 30, 50 and so on...

Only a guess of course ;)

Regards rog8811

Actually not far off. A lot of laser companies make an extra buck by rebadging lasers that are way over spec. The under spec ones are sent to wicked or back to the manufacturer... :p

spyrorocksshipitbackfh9.gif

That's a shame Blue. :(

My DX200 is rock-solid, so I guess I lucked out. It may be under-spec, (I'll be able to tell once Kenom delivers my LPM) but it's been great laser for me.

Might it be that you used Lithium batteries? I always thought that they pushed an already-maxxed diode a bit too much so I've never used anything more than regular Alkalines, and even then, only when I need burning power. I normally use NiMh eneloop-type recargeables, so maybe my diode has had an easier time of it.

If you attach your pix to your RMA request and they may just send you a new one. I've gotten RMAs from them several times and they have never asked me to ship the busted one back if I included a shot of it. But that was for cheaper items like multi-meters and such... They may be pickier with an item that expensive.

Good luck on the RMA and hopefully you'll get a winner next time. When they do work they're one of the best laser values out there.

Cheers, CC