Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

[MOD] Power Supply

TimTom

Hey guys,

today I started and finished a for me very useful project succesfully :)
I'm working on a portable speaker project, with a car-radio as amplifier and to test it, I do not want to use my batteries for this.. so I decided to make a PC Power Supply work for my issue.

It was easier as I thought. :0
I just cuttet and isulated all wires, that I didn't need anymore and connected the wires to an old speaker-terminal for the output. I like it! :)

Now I have a 5V output with up to 28A and a 12V with up to 14A current.. thats very useful.. not just to test my radio.. I can power lasers with that perfectly :evil:

Of course I have a picture of my finished build. I don't have pictures of my build-process, because I didn't planned to post this here - sorry for that :D

Hope you like it!

K2XzHeF.jpg

Constructive criticism would be cool!:)

Thank you for viewig

-Tim

-MOD edit, resized the image.

Last edited by a moderator:

Re: [REBUILT] Power Supply

Eh, "rebuilt" implies you replaced a bunch of components. I would consider "Adding a connector" more of a modification.

The speaker-style connector you've chosen is only good for 2-5A. You might get to 10A before it starts melting, but you can forget about 28A.

Did you put a loading resistor on the 5V rail?

14A is pretty low for car audio, but it'll be good enough as long as you don't hook up a sub amp.

Last edited:

TimTom

Re: [REBUILT] Power Supply

- Yep.. google translator recommended this translation ._.
- Ok.. good to know .. D:
- Nope, why I should do this?
- Nope I think I don't will do this.

Thank you :D

ped

- Nope, why I should do this?
- Nope I think I don't will do this.

Sometimes these PSU's "float" if there is no load IE the voltage can vary, and can sometimes damage the PSU.

Sometimes car amp's have an "inrush" current that can peak at many 10's of AMP's and would either destroy or at least , trip out the PSU.

Last edited:
The power supply doesn't regulate the voltage very well when there is no load sometimes , to get the PSU to go into proper voltage regulation a small load is required so adding a resistor across the 5V rail gives the PSU that load .

Double check if you actually need a power resistor to load the 5V rail.

I've gone through 6 ATX PSU's and they all were fine without a power resistor.

TimTom

0f3204116c.jpg

no idea how old you new it is.. :C

thats pretty dumb, because i think i will need it for my active subwoofer next time :x

The way to tell is to attach a 12V fan. If you load the 5V rail and the fan speeds up, then it regulates on
the 5V rail. If it slows down or doesn't change, it regulates on the 12V rail. You want the load on the rail
that has the regulation.

Things

If you're using as a permanent power supply then it's not a big deal. Just if you intend to use it as a bench power supply, as in, it could be running for a while without a load and having loads connected unexpectedly, then the resistor is a good idea.