Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mini Blu-Ray Laser

Just finished my PHR-803T mini laser! :D
It is simply stunning!! I LOVE IT!! It is way better than that wimpy old KES-400A BR i have, and significantly brighter than my PHR at 80mA. I am running it at 100mA, and i could see the beam in mid air!

It uses 3x AAA batteries, and is very compact, about 4 inches in length. Pics and beamshots will be up later today.

jayrob

Re: Mini Blu-Ray Laser *Finished*

Sounds like you finished the little 'Pocket Pal' host and heatsink you got from me? How did the tutorial go?
Jay

jayrob said:
Sounds like you finished the little 'Pocket Pal' host and heatsink you got from me? How did the tutorial go?
Jay
It was perfect!! Thanks a ton!!

Lol, i forgot to put the plastic piece on when i was soldering, so i ended up cutting it, then it shattered and i only put half of it in there :p

When i take a picture of it from afar, the dot looks wimpy on the camera... for a beamshot, do i have to use fog (never don beamshots, only "dot" shots)?

jayrob

Yeah...blu-ray beam needs some smoke. Go into the largest room in your house in the dark, and let your eyes adjust to the dark for a couple of minutes....then turn that bad boy on!
Jay

jayrob said:
Yeah...blu-ray beam needs some smoke. Go into the largest room in your house in the dark, and let your eyes adjust to the dark for a couple of minutes....then turn that bad boy on!
Jay
Alriiiiiiiiight!!! I'll be sure to try that! :D

I'll post pics of the actual laser, and it shining through flourescent dye.

By the way, your heatsinks are amazing!

jayrob

Spyderz20x6 said:

Thanks! :)

Glad to see people putting them to use! Looking forward to those pictures...
Jay

jayrob said:
[quote author=Spyderz20x6 link=1214456023/0#4 date=1214457652]

Thanks! :)

Glad to see people putting them to use! Looking forward to those pictures...
Jay[/quote]
Pictures are taken!

By the way, when i light matches, i saw that one of matches i used flourescences. I though putting phosphorous in matches was illegal...

Here is the unit itself:

Attachments

• P6250062_001.JPG
    P6250062_001.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 157

The front:

Attachments

• P6250063.JPG
    P6250063.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 115

Back view:

Attachments

• P6250064.JPG
    P6250064.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 107

Any Washingtonians see my laser blasting into the night sky? :cool:

jayrob

I commend you on your inventivness! Because I see that you mounted my heatsink the opposite way that I designed it. Making it more flush with the host. Good job!

By the way, the reason I designed it to stick out the front of the host a little, is to provide a little more room on the inside....positioning the module just a little more forward. This host is very tight for room on the inside, so you must have had a very tight fit with the heatsink mounted that way. Here's a comparison...the difference in room gained/lost, is .221 in. Almost 1/4", which is huge in that little host!
pp5.jpg

Jay

jayrob said:
I commend you on your inventivness! Because I see that you mounted my heatsink the opposite way that I designed it. Making it more flush with the host. Good job!

By the way, the reason I designed it to stick out the front of the host a little, is to provide a little more room on the inside....positioning the module just a little more forward. This host is very tight for room on the inside, so you must have had a very tight fit with the heatsink mounted that way. Here's a comparison...the difference in room gained/lost, is .221 in. Almost 1/4", which is huge in that little host!
pp5.jpg

Jay
*gasp* :eek:

I didn't even know!! So that makes me like "super-flexible laser maker man", lol :p
Not really :p
To tell you the truth, i thought it would break because of the squeezing i was doing to screw the threads. The result: A small, sturdy, powerful laser.

By the way, was the heatsink supposed to go in from the top or from the bottom? Because i put it in from the bottom, but maybe i put the diode in the opposite way.

More pics:

Attachments

• P6250067.JPG
    P6250067.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 259

More dye

Attachments

• P6250071.JPG
    P6250071.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 93