Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Microsoft Windows 7 Beta?

Kenom

so the release happened today. I'm in the process of downloading the beta. Has anyone else gotten a chance to test this and what are your impressions?

I've been running an alpha copy on one machine for a few months... seems much better than vista to me, though I was no fan of vista. So far the only issue has been lack of driver availability. This may be fixed with the beta release however.

:)

I've never been a Microsoft basher figuring business is business but since I also run UNIX and Linux machines I see the huge difference between a real operating system (UNIX and Linux) versus the bloated Microsoft products. An operating system is designed to do one thing and one thing only and that is to provided the software subsystems to be able to access and operate computer hardware and low level programming from high order software to achieve some end. I have a tough time finding much in the Microsoft operating system code that is actually related to the HAL (hardware abstraction layer). Their code is mostly layers and layers of fluff surrounded in layers and layers of code fixes from previous versions of Windows and various builds in the current version. Look hard enough and you will find code from Windows 95/3.0/3.11. So in their attempt to be all things to all people and maintain their near monopoly they have created a behemoth; a fat, sluggish, resource hungry system that doesn't do anything really well. Every time Moore's law cycles Microsoft is there to eat up the processing power just to run the OS.

I am very skeptical of Windows 7. They simply have not had enough time to create something truly new, nor innovative. I see Windows Vista encapsulated by this Windows 7 fluff, being nothing more than a really big patch for the existing Vista OS. Of all the Microsoft operating systems produced, the finest was actually 2000 with XP a far second (since the code really bloated under XP) If there were any real way I could get away from Microsoft I would but in the business world it's simply not possible.

I really hope Microsoft proves me wrong but I doubt it.

Kenom

FrothyChimp said:
I've never been a Microsoft basher figuring business is business but since I also run UNIX and Linux machines I see the huge difference between a real operating system (UNIX and Linux) versus the bloated Microsoft products. An operating system is designed to do one thing and one thing only and that is to provided the software subsystems to be able to access and operate computer hardware and low level programming from high order software to achieve some end. I have a tough time finding much in the Microsoft operating system code that is actually related to the HAL (hardware abstraction layer). Their code is mostly layers and layers of fluff surrounded in layers and layers of code fixes from previous versions of Windows and various builds in the current version. Look hard enough and you will find code from Windows 95/3.0/3.11. So in their attempt to be all things to all people and maintain their near monopoly they have created a behemoth; a fat, sluggish, resource hungry system that doesn't do anything really well. Every time Moore's law cycles Microsoft is there to eat up the processing power just to run the OS.

I am very skeptical of Windows 7. They simply have not had enough time to create something truly new, nor innovative. I see Windows Vista encapsulated by this Windows 7 fluff, being nothing more than a really big patch for the existing Vista OS. Of all the Microsoft operating systems produced, the finest was actually 2000 with XP a far second (since the code really bloated under XP) If there were any real way I could get away from Microsoft I would but in the business world it's simply not possible.

I really hope Microsoft proves me wrong but I doubt it.

I concur 100% I really liked 2000 with one exception but that one is so insignificant that it's not even worth mentioning. (no msconfig) You just can't argue that it was and still is the most stable OS on the market (unix and such not included)

For nothing better to do than try this one, since microsoft is doing everything in thier power to make sure that customers upgrade to the newest for continued product support and such.

I have it since a few days. I like it! I find it more responsive than Vista and the new task bar is really neat. It's also surprisingly stable for a beta..

Kenom

We shall see. I've just now burned the disk, installed a secondary HDD and will reboot to install in minutes.....

Snytbaggen said:
It's also surprisingly stable for a beta..
just wait til they add all the stuff in the real release and see how buggy it gets... they like to leave alot of stuff out when they release betas. i downloaded it the other day but havent burned the disk yet.

Kenom

DAMMMMIT!  stupid thing installed itself over my exsisting OS even though I had reformatted a 300 Gig HDD specifically for this purpose.  ALL THAT DATA REFORMATTED GAAAAAH.

*edit* my mistake. It installed the boot to my main HDD (the one with my existing os on it and installed all the files on the reformatted 300 Gig HDD.

Lol

I have the 69xx build on my computer... works really well, much better than Vista in my opinion :cool:

If I had a computer that wasn't important to install it on I would try it myself.

I quite like the look of it but as with Microsoft I fear its going to be honorifically slow.

Lol

Just use VirtualBox. I'm using that and I have Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Linux Ubuntu installed on my computer ;D

i tried upgrading it but went to sleep to let it finish and when i woke up the install had stopped b/c of some error....i spent 2 hours backing up info "just in case" and the upgrade failed.. :'(

iewed

I put the Windows 7 Beta on one of the computers at my school, and I must say it ran surprisingly well considering all of the computer specs are far below minimum (600MHz processor, 512MB RAM, 16MB Video Card). It seemed pretty stable, but I was unable to connect to the internet due to driver issues, but I resolve that next time I'm in homeroom.

Kenom

so far I'm liking windows 7 much better than I do vista. It's still a lot harder to do simple things like share an internet connection, and the task bar being new and improved is kind of annoying. Messenger doesn't dissapear when you don't want it up front. Stays on the left hand side right next to the start menu and is always there as long as it's running. Does appear to be pretty stable though. Now, I must state that I've not installed many programs yet, so we'll see how stable it is once newer programs are installed. I've seen a few instances where the computer stalls for a long time. Lets hope that isn't consistent.