Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Micro USB Flash Drive?

Soren

Has anyone flirted with the idea of making a flash drive that plugs into a micro-USB port? It would be good for expandable storage for tablets that don't have a microSD slot (I'm looking at you, Nexus 7 :tsk: ). It would be even better if you could integrate it with one of those super tiny USB drives. I don't think it would be too difficult, all you'd have to do is solder the corresponding Power and Data in and outs correctly.

Something like this:

USBFever_usb_micro_usb_flash_drive-500x375.jpg

Mixed with this:

super-mini-16gb-buffalo-thumbkey-flash-drive.jpg

Thoughts?

ped

Wouldn't last 5 minuets.

I fix mobiles for a living , and Ive replace an insane amount of these sockets.

Yes I said sockets, because its ALWAYS them that break off, their simply not strong enough...specially if you start plugging usb drives into them, getting knocked and waggling them to get them it, it'll wreck your mUSB port in no time.

Move on.

Soren

Wouldn't last 5 minuets.

I fix mobiles for a living , and Ive replace an insane amount of these sockets.

Yes I said sockets, because its ALWAYS them that break off, their simply not strong enough...specially if you start plugging usb drives into them, getting knocked and waggling them to get them it, it'll wreck your mUSB port in no time.

Move on.

That's why it would be good to make one with the lowest profile possible, if it was similar in size to the image above it would be much less likely to damage the port, even less likely than a standard charging cable. Charging cables protrude about 2cm where one of those would stick out only a few millimeters.

Last edited:

Things

The flash memory chips themselves are actually fairly large, I don't think you could easily fit one into something the size of the 2nd device.