Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Micro Greenie for Handheld Projectors

Saw this interestring photo today and remembered some LPF people asking about the small size of greens on the new pico-projectors.
thumb_230_1.jpg

"The laser device produces green laser light with a wavelength of 532nm by changing the wavelength of laser light that is emitted from a quantum dot laser and has a wavelength of 1,064nm with SHG (second harmonic generation) devices.

The new green laser device features a wide operating temperature range (up to 60°C without cooling), resulting in lower power consumption. It operates at a voltage of 2V, and its wavelength can be modulated at 500MHz or higher. It is sealed in the general-purpose package "TO-56" with a diameter of 5.6mm."

It looks to be direct conversion to 532nm Green with one crystal.

Larry

Interesting.
It is possible that they use a tiny hybrid crystal set in the device.
From what I have read, direct doubling 1064 from a diode is inefficent and sloppy, especially with the potential wavelength drift as the temperature climbs.

Also, is there any info on what kind of power this thing is supposed to sustain? From the looks of it, I would assume no more than 5mW for stable operation.
I don't think 5mW is enough for a projector, unless you only plan on using such a projector in a sealed-off, pitch black cave.

Direct doubling works fine if you have a nice 1064nm beam. I don't know how they are getting one so nice in such a small package, but maybe it will replace the standard DPSS system used for normal green modules.

Direct doubling works fine if you have a nice 1064nm beam. I don't know how they are getting one so nice in such a small package,

It's a quantum dot laser. These are quite a bit different from traditional laser diodes and have better thermal stability.

Last edited:
DANG thats tiny! Looks like an action figures light saber :D