Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

MGL-III-532 100mW Labby(Amazing stability)

As promised, here is the second review(of hopefully many) in regards to the building of my labby rainbow :D

MGL-III-532-100mW

Overview:
  • Price
  • Production Time
  • Shipping Time
  • Unit itself
  • Power Output: 176.2mW
  • Power Stability(over 4 hours): %0.252

Price
This particular unit was actually purchased from DragonLasers, not directly from the manufacturer, CNI. That being said, this unit still ran me some pretty pennies, exactly $450 to be exact(including shipping)! Many people might find this terribly expensive well....because it kinda is, but you have to take into account *from personal experience* that DragonLaser's prices are well below what it would cost you if you were buying directly from CNI. Another factor to take into account is that these aren't just regular old' 100mW 532 lasers that you see floating around LPF where people burn and have fun showing the beam off to friends, these kind of lasers are built for one simple task: STABILITY! When you take into account all the testing done to make sure this laser is lab worthy and will outperform all 532 pens, $450 ain't all that bad in the end, even for only 100mW's(176mW's in my case) :)

Production Time
This is by far the part I hate the most when ordering built-to-order products, the loooong waaait time waiting for that email telling you your laser is on it's way. Fortunately, DragonLasers is pretty quick and over 2 purchases with them I've found 10-12 days is the normal amount of time you'll be left in the void wondering if all that money was worth it. Then again, knowing people are hard at work building your laser makes you have some kind of joy in your purchase, knowing these are rare lasers being built.

Shipping Time
Shipping from DragonLasers(CNI) is done via FedEx Int'l Priority, and as such your laser gets to you pretty quickly which I love! From China, to my doorstep took about 3 days every single time I would buy from CNI/DL and of course, tracking is reliable and up-to-date(although it seems to lag behind 1 hour at times on FedEx's website :eek:). The laser was shipped in a very nice, padded, bubble-wrapped box which prevented any damage to the laser, PSU or any fragile parts which could be damaged due to high vibration. One thing I would like to add, I really love the fact CNI puts your lab laser inside a vaccum sealed, padded foam box, really pretty neat when you open it and hear the air rush in ;)

Unit itself
The laser head itself is your typical CNI labby head, nothing too special here. Although interestingly enough, the head(which I thought twisted off) actually has a little sliding pin you must slide to open up the aperture, as where the 655 has a little screw knob you must screw out to open the aperture(more in the pictures below).

And of course pictures, showing the 532 & 655 next to each other. They are now labby friends :gh:

11044-041.jpg

11045-042.jpg

11046-043.jpg

11047-044.jpg

11048-045.jpg

11051-048.jpg

11049-046.jpg

11050-047.jpg

11052-049.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this review, I was really excited this guy so I apologize for the lack of pictures, wanted to spend more time using it :D

-Alex

Last edited:

GSS

Im happy for you Lehap! as your still in the getting to know it phase I will wait for you to tell us your first experiment. If these 2 labbys were to have a baby labby what would the baby wavelength be?:) Hopeing they get along

Im happy for you Lehap! as your still in the getting to know it phase I will wait for you to tell us your first experiment. If these 2 labbys were to have a baby labby what would the baby wavelength be?:) Hopeing they get along

Haha, thanks Pete for the kind words! I'll have to try a burning experiment with the 532 once my safety glasses come in, not trying it before. If they had a baby labby....hopefully 593.5? :)

-Alex

Reactions: GSS

GSS

Haha, thanks Pete for the kind words! I'll have to try a burning experiment with the 532 once my safety glasses come in, not trying it before. If they had a baby labby....hopefully 593.5? :)

-Alex
Let me know if that labby baby looks like the mailman

Im curious what will you do with the lab laser ? wouldnt a portable laser be better as u cant take this outside your home exactly..

diachi

Im curious what will you do with the lab laser ? wouldnt a portable laser be better as u cant take this outside your home exactly..

These have a 100% duty cycle for a start.

Edit: And congrats ;) Looks nice with those two side by side!

Last edited:
@diachi & Gabe

Thanks guys! I need to take a little break though. I've already spent so much on these two guys haha :)

-Alex

diachi

Oh boy dont torture the poor kid:crackup:

Helps if the link actually works ... Fixed :D

I got the second last one - someone else should pick that last one up. It's a reasonable price. *cough* Alex *cough* :evil:

Looks good. The beam is slightly visible in the photo, but in person it's more visible than that right? Maybe because of bright lighting the beam doesn't show good in the photo.

Alan

Looks good. The beam is slightly visible in the photo, but in person it's more visible than that right? Maybe because of bright lighting the beam doesn't show good in the photo.

Alan

Thanks Alan! Yes, in person the beam is visible in a lit room(although slightly), while in the dark as expected you can see a straight green beam shooting out :)

-Alex

Nice , CNI labs do like to do over the rated power in most cases : D ,

The 1W CNI OEM 532nm I had sat at 1.7W , I also had a 100mW laser wave that sat at 150mW