Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Melles Griot 30x expander good deal?

not if i am a mile away :p attach the laser to a telescope :p lol would be cool..... going to have to do some range test

How far away are you planning to use it at? :eek: I would think an RPL 425 would pop a ballon from a distance just fine. ;D

oh it does i have gotten 50' so far : ) but i am looking at idk maybe 1600m : )

Switch

Man that should be a killer piece of optics :D I don't know , 1600m is A LOT, but you'll get a good distance.
The only thing is that it doesn't say what laser this is made for.It could be a HeNe expander or idk, and the coatings could be totally wrong for 532nm leaving your RPL425 with a RPL225 beam after the lenses. :-/

well all the expanders melles griot offer are from 632.8nm but i am sure that if optotronics offers it and another user has used it before it will be fine even their sight says so
Expansion Ratio 30×
Wavelength Range 450–750 nm
Recommended Maximum Input Beam Diameter (1/e2)
1.0 mm
Input Aperture 2.5-mm diameter
Exit Aperture 30.0mm
Wavefront Distortion <[ch955]/4 (p-p) at 632.8 nm
Minimum Focus Distance 10.0m
Transmission >95%
Coating HEBBAR™ /078
Housing Material Black-anodized aluminum
Mounting 1 inch-32 TPI
http://shop.mellesgriot.com/products/lasers/detail.aspx?pf_id= 09 LBM 017

(edit) found the post http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1217689376/17 (end edit)

Switch

Well, the AR coating range seems quite allright.And considering the price of the new unit, and also considering that the one you'll be receving is in good working condition and has unscratched lenses, that's one helluva deal!! :eek: Do you have a meter to test the output after the expander so you can calculate power loss? :-/

That's pretty cool! It looks huge though, but you have a bigass laser.

I'd stick with a DL10x, but that's just because I'm a cheap, and that I have no real need for something that big. :eek:

Switch

Feuer 594 said:
That's pretty cool!  It looks huge though, but you have a bigass laser.

I'd stick with a DL10x, but that's just because I'm a cheap, and that I have no real need for something that big.   :eek:

Yea but in theory that thing improves divergence by 30x !!! Enables a 30 times smaller beam waist focus at distances which translates to a 900 times higher irradiance in the hot spot than that of a focusable 1mm beam at the same distance.Wait...that just sounds too much, I must be wrong. :-/ But if I'm right, it should have no problem popping a balloon pretty fast at 1000m provided it's still enough and focused properly, with the beam waist in that area. :p

Switch said:
[quote author=Feuer 594 link=1223598505/0#10 date=1223674697]That's pretty cool! It looks huge though, but you have a bigass laser.

I'd stick with a DL10x, but that's just because I'm a cheap, and that I have no real need for something that big. :eek:

Yea but in theory that thing improves divergence by 30x !!! Enables a 30 times smaller beam waist focus at distances which translates to a 900 times higher irradiance in the hot spot than that of a focusable 1mm beam at the same distance.Wait...that just sounds too much, I must be wrong. :-/ But if I'm right, it should have no problem popping a balloon pretty fast at 1000m provided it's still enough and focused properly, with the beam waist in that area. :p[/quote]

lol good point... I'm not a burning fan though, I just like the pretty colors... :p

Switch

Well , but still you would get awesome divergence for pointing ::) Unfortunately still wouldn't reach the moon too well ;D

Hmm, if your RPL was like 45W with an initial 1mRad and through a 1000x expander that would give you a 10mW/m[sup]2[/sup] on the moon surface(by my rough calculations, could be totally wrong though it's 2:30 am).So , not taking into account power losses in the atmosphere that should be visible(to someone standing on the moon that is. ;D)

Feuer 594 said:
lol good point... I'm not a burning fan though, I just like the pretty colors...   :p

No kidding. You haven't got anything over 100mW. =P

I do agree though, lasers are much better for visual effect. Trust me, anyone who wants a burner, you get tired of burning real quick.

true that is why i got the expander so i can burn further : ) brings back the interest :p but ya lol i think it will be fun : ) cant wait till it gets here and i get an adapter made..... and as for the testing i e mail carter and asked if he would do another power test with me again so i will have to see ware that goes if hes not to busy with school : ) but ya when it gets done i think i will have something the size of a 3-4D mag light in length : )

(edit) and oh ya i figured it out i will have a divergence of .031mrad : ) as it starts off with .95mrad : ) (end edit)