Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Maybe it's me...

mfo

Alright. A few months ago, I ordered a 125mW Green Viper from dragon lasers. Recently, it seems like it's just not as powerful. One, I noticed the beam comes out at a slight angle. Now I know this is common with DPSS lasers because of the crystal alignments, but knowing the type of person I am, I figure I would have noticed that from day one. I certainly noticed it with my old 5mW greenie that I purchased in 2002. It seems like it takes longer to burn my hand than usual. It's still bright as hell though. Any ideas/thoughts? I even put a fresh pair of batteries in it, and the same thing.

Btw, I don't currently own a LPM.

TBH I'd wait until you can measure it before making the call that it's dimmer now.. If you know about how much power it was putting out when you got it, you'll immediately know if you're imagining things or not.

Jaseth

If you have dropped it or knocked it around a bit the crystals may have become slightly misaligned, causing a small change in the angle of the beam as well as spilling more IR and creating less 532nm bright light.

It is however very possible that it is just what EF said: Warped memory of what it used to be like.
See if you live close to someone with a LPM. Don't freak out yet :)

Seb

mfo

TBH I'd wait until you can measure it before making the call that it's dimmer now.. If you know about how much power it was putting out when you got it, you'll immediately know if you're imagining things or not.

Yeah, you're right. It's just weird though. It still seems bright as hell, just the burning seems a bit weaker. I guess I gotta scrap up some $ and invest in a LPM.

Jaseth

Yeah, you're right. It's just weird though. It still seems bright as hell, just the burning seems a bit weaker. I guess I gotta scrap up some $ and invest in a LPM.

LPMs are not cheap, but you will love having one! Knowing the exact power of all your lasers, being able to send back underspec lasers for replacement, being able to write detailed reviews and also receive free products for review.. yes a LPM is really a good investment!

Seb

mfo

LPMs are not cheap, but you will love having one! Knowing the exact power of all your lasers, being able to send back underspec lasers for replacement, being able to write detailed reviews and also receive free products for review.. yes a LPM is really a good investment!

Seb

Yeah, I guess I will acquire one around January or so. I've got an engagement ring to buy first ;)

Also, how do you calibrate them? I read on here that must be done once per year?

mfo