Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Max mW used for "public" display

iewed

Max mW used for "public" display

What should be the strongest a laser could be (in terms of mW) to be used publicly? Not light shows, but just showing off hand held lasers to people without safety goggles, or should I not do this at all? Some of my friends like lasers as well, and if I where to show them a laser in a public place (A medium-crowded field for example), what would you guys think a good limit would be, >50mW, or just keep it inside my house?

Razako

Re:  Max mW used for "public" display

As long as you aren't shining a 100+mw green around in an area full of people you should be fine. Technically the FDA limit on public use is 5mw but what fun can you have with that? As long as you are smart you shouldn't get caught and the rules are rarely enforced. Just don't shine them around right in front of a cop or point them at airplanes/vehicles.

iewed

But if I wanted to burn some matches, or pop a balloon, should I tell them to stay at least 5 feet back? I would definitely have safety goggles on, and I'm assuming that the divergence of the reflection would make a safe range at least 1 meter back.

Razako

iewed said:
But if I wanted to burn some matches, or pop a balloon, should I tell them to stay at least 5 feet back? I would definitely have safety goggles on, and I'm assuming that the divergence of the reflection would make a safe range at least 1 meter back.
If you're burning stuff then everyone watching really should have safety goggles. It can hurt your eyes looking at the spot of a high powered laser from 5 feet back. Also some things melt and can become reflective which can cause problems.

iewed

Razako said:
[quote author=iewed link=1204415097/0#2 date=1204417318]But if I wanted to burn some matches, or pop a balloon, should I tell them to stay at least 5 feet back? I would definitely have safety goggles on, and I'm assuming that the divergence of the reflection would make a safe range at least 1 meter back.
If you're burning stuff then everyone watching really should have safety goggles. It can hurt your eyes looking at the spot of a high powered laser from 5 feet back. Also some things melt and can become reflective which can cause problems.[/quote]

So I would be better off just burning things in private, with all attendee's wearing safety goggles?