Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Marking Thermal Paper

New to lasers and have been doing a lot of research for a specific task. I want to be able to efficiently and effectively mark thermal paper with a laser.

From my research I've gathered the 405nm would be ideal for white thermal paper, however I'm finding mixed reviews for the needed mW.

Any suggestions on the mW needed to clearly and quickly mark thermal paper while not being so strong as to burn the paper?

Thank you!

djQUAN

You'd need a pretty high power to heat up and mark white paper. But then, once it turns black, it readily absorbs all that power then burns. I know it since used to use my laser to erase (black out) ATM receipts.

Even on thermal paper?

ATM Receipts are thermal paper. I haven't tried - but I would imagine it would take a second or two to darken the paper, and from there, you continue to follow a slow line or shape - piggybacking off of the already darkened sections, to heat up the next. I'm not sure what type of resolution you could achieve - and it might be hard to make sure you don't burn or melt it.

Oh, sorry on the receipt/thermal paper confusion!

For basic raster/dot printing what do you think would be necessary? I only need to mark small dots. Nothing earth shattering in terms of performance, just clearly and visible enough to make dot patterns of an image on the paper.

In other words, doesn't need to be a sustained line, just marking small repeated dots at arbitrary intervals.

Thoughts on mW needed?

Last edited:
Thank you for your help! Where would you suggest I purchase either the laser with the adjustable driver or the needed parts?

Zeebit

Even my low power 532nm laser marks thermal paper but it takes a few seconds to get it started. IIRC, it was around 80mW when I got it.

Thank you for your help! Where would you suggest I purchase either the laser with the adjustable driver or the needed parts?

I would recommend our friendly neighborhood DTR as a good source of diodes+drivers+Aixiz modules+lenses. You'll probably want to look at a diode like this - though I don't think he offers any variable supply drivers. If you really want to do research about mW of 405 vs thermal inking rates - you'll probably want to source one. But if you just want to straight up mark thermal paper - you'll probably do well to stick with 400mA driver - maybe less if you don't want a long duty cycle (duty cycle means how often you have to turn it off so it doesn't overheat).

Last edited: