Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Man DL are AWESOME!

VW

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1210352574

So today I recieved this LPM that I bought off daguin (good stuff!), he tested it before it went up for sale and was found to rate roughly 1mW - 3mW higher than the Kenom meter.  So of course, you know I tested my lasers.  The Spartan BP 40mW I wont comment on for now, as it's very temerature sensetive and getting an accurate reading can be hard (I need to experiment in different conditions), but the Hulk 150 mW is what I'm here to tell you about.  

This laser was left to rest for roughly 12 hours, was measured with fresh alkalines (Duracel Ultra M3 C size) and over a period of 30 seconds sat happily at 210mW!  Over powered or what?  It's peak was around 228mW, averaged (in fresh, off the shelf use) 212mW and once the unit warms up or power starts to drop, it goes down to aroun 145mW.  I say that's not too shabby for a 150mW laser.  Even though it drops to 145mW, I think that's only due to heat or lack of power.  Earlier in the day I got two seperate readings in individual sittings, first one like the above, except the second one had a massive drop in power, neither of which were with new batteries. But just now with fresh batteries and a cool unit, I got the steady, high power reading again.  

So overall I'm pleased.  I don't use this unit much so it's good to know I'm guarenteed 200mW + when I go to use it...

That's great to hear, they seem to have changed their business practices since last year. I wouldn't be too concerned about the power drop either, for most tricks you don't keep the laser on for more than 10 seconds.

VW

styropyro said:
That's great to hear, they seem to have changed their business practices since last year. I wouldn't be too concerned about the power drop either, for most tricks you don't keep the laser on for more than 10 seconds.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Plus on low battery I'm still getting near 150mW so it couldn't be any better really...

daguin

VW said:
So overall I'm pleased. I don't use this unit much so it's good to know I'm guarenteed 200mW + when I go to use it...

It feels VERY different when you actually KNOW what your lasers are doing, doesn't it. :) No more, "It looks brighter than Johnny's X105 did last year."

Have fun with the unit.

Welcome to the "next level" of being a laser enthusiast.

Peace,
dave

VW

daguin said:
[quote author=VW link=1212708766/0#0 date=1212708766]So overall I'm pleased.  I don't use this unit much so it's good to know I'm guarenteed 200mW + when I go to use it...

It feels VERY different when you actually KNOW what your lasers are doing, doesn't it.  :)  No more, "It looks brighter than Johnny's X105 did last year."  

Have fun with the unit.

Welcome to the "next level" of being a laser enthusiast.

Peace,
dave[/quote]
It certainly does. I guess I should change the user bar... :)

VW

In case anyone's interested, here's a more detailed look at a 60 second test I just performed.  Using a stop watch to mark the following conditions...

Off - 0:00 seconds = 0mW
Advertised power - 2:20 seconds = 150mW
Peak power - 4:36 seconds = 221mW
Average power - 7:83 seconds = 212mW
Consistancy - 60:00 seconds = >207mW

They never really sucked, they just had a certain incident with underspec lazors.

ixfd64 said:
Are you guys saying that Dragon Lasers no longer sucks? :)
Not enough info to make that statement ::)

VillageIdiot said:
They never really sucked, they just had a certain incident with underspec lazors.
Make that two incidents, Pseudo ordered TWO Viper125s and they BOTH were underpowered. One even dropped to 30mW when it mode hopped...

Razako

styropyro said:
[quote author=ixfd64 link=1212708766/0#6 date=1213589816]Are you guys saying that Dragon Lasers no longer sucks? :)

VillageIdiot said:
Make that two incidents, Pseudo ordered TWO Viper125s and they BOTH were underpowered. One even dropped to 30mW when it mode hopped...[/quote]
People need to stop bringing that up. ALL laser companies including Laserglow/opto/nova have shipped out some underspec lasers with various problems. What matters is whether or not they have good customer service and will make things right with the customer.

Razako said:
[quote author=styropyro link=1212708766/0#8 date=1213647720][quote author=ixfd64 link=1212708766/0#6 date=1213589816]Are you guys saying that Dragon Lasers no longer sucks? :)

VillageIdiot said:
Make that two incidents, Pseudo ordered TWO Viper125s and they BOTH were underpowered. One even dropped to 30mW when it mode hopped...[/quote]
People need to stop bring that up. ALL laser companies including Laserglow/opto/nova have shipped out some underspec lasers with various problems. What matters is whether or not they have good customer service and will make things right with the customer.[/quote]
I think that people should still bring that up IMO, the thing about sending out lasers that preform under the advertised power is that a Newbies won't know that they got a bad unit. If those two lasers that Pseudo bought went out to a n00b to the hobby who just wanted a burning greenie, they wouldn't know that they got scammed out of 20mW because there is little chance that they have a power meter. See what I mean? :-/

Razako

styropyro said:
[quote author=Razako link=1212708766/0#9 date=1213648639][quote author=styropyro link=1212708766/0#8 date=1213647720][quote author=ixfd64 link=1212708766/0#6 date=1213589816]Are you guys saying that Dragon Lasers no longer sucks? :)

VillageIdiot said:
People need to stop bring that up. ALL laser companies including Laserglow/opto/nova have shipped out some underspec lasers with various problems. What matters is whether or not they have good customer service and will make things right with the customer.[/quote]
I think that people should still bring that up IMO, the thing about sending out lasers that preform under the advertised power is that a Newbies won't know that they got a bad unit. If those two lasers that Pseudo bought went out to a n00b to the hobby who just wanted a burning greenie, they wouldn't know that they got scammed out of 20mW because there is little chance that they have a power meter. See what I mean? :-/[/quote]
What if one of the postal workers dropped the box during shipping and it misaligned the crystals? Because both lasers were in the same box it's possible that both of them were damaged somehow. If pseudo had bought 3 or more lasers at separate times and all of them were underpowered it would prove a lot more.

Btw even if DL was scamming people a long time ago it seems like they have cleaned up their act a lot recently. A couple of people who recently bought a laser from them got a quality overpowered laser.

Razako said:
[quote author=styropyro link=1212708766/0#10 date=1213649262][quote author=Razako link=1212708766/0#9 date=1213648639][quote author=styropyro link=1212708766/0#8 date=1213647720][quote author=ixfd64 link=1212708766/0#6 date=1213589816]Are you guys saying that Dragon Lasers no longer sucks? :)

VillageIdiot said:
I think that people should still bring that up IMO, the thing about sending out lasers that preform under the advertised power is that a Newbies won't know that they got a bad unit. If those two lasers that Pseudo bought went out to a n00b to the hobby who just wanted a burning greenie, they wouldn't know that they got scammed out of 20mW because there is little chance that they have a power meter. See what I mean? :-/[/quote]
What if one of the postal workers dropped the box during shipping and it misaligned the crystals? Because both lasers were in the same box it's possible that both of them were damaged somehow. If pseudo had bought 3 or more lasers at separate times and all of them were underpowered it would prove a lot more.

Btw even if DL was scamming people a long time ago it seems like they have cleaned up their act a lot recently. A couple of people who recently bought a laser from them got a quality overpowered laser.[/quote]
It's also what led to Pseudo testing them though. The Viper125 units never went out of stock which was odd, reason why it was odd is that CNI only made units up to 80mW at that time and the overspec ones were just sold by the CNI resellers as higher powered models. Pseudo dealt with CNI directly and he said that units that were 125mW+ were very rare, and that is why Nova's X-125s were always out of stock.

You do have a point about shipping though, they could have gotten messed up in shipping, and recently DL has been sending out good units (to everybody who has tested them anyway).