Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

making my first laser *help plz*

cc6726

ok so ive been reading these forums for a couple weeks now and have decided to make my own laser, since i live in Australia and it is illegal to import them. i dont have much experience with lasers, or laser making so i am hoping that maybe someone is willing to help.

so far i have bought an Aixiz housing, this one and am not sure what to do next. im hoping to make a portable laser which is about 650nm and about 200-400mW. I also want it to last for a while. I only want it this powerfull so i can see the beam good not to burn things, etc. ive heard that the beams on the reds arnt that great compared to the greens. if 200mW is too much plz let me know.

i would be appreciative if someone could help us out with things such as a good laser diode to get, good housing for the laser to be portable, and extra things such as drivers (as i dont really know what they are/how they work) to stop the diodes from burning out quickly. also if i have missed any important parts to making a laser could u please add them in your post.

thankyou, all help is apreciated.

Last edited:

cc6726

thx for that diode looks good, but what is a flex drive/ where can i get one

ix551

I've bought both diodes and drivers from modwerx, I recommend it 100%.
You can also power your doide with a led driver from delaextreme if you don't mind the risk of something going wrong :p ...do get a host from there

cc6726

lol johnnyman thanks for the vid but it dont rlly help that much
thx every1 that commented, hopefully in a few weeks ill see how it goes and post some pics with my laser =O

thx

Last edited:

cc6726

so here it is my first laser make... it doesnt actually work because i fried the diode... =( but it looks cool. so i thought id post pics of the host.
laser2.png
i got the white ring thingy from a handheld fan, it doesnt actually do anything just makes it look cool, i just made it fit inside the host.
laser.png
thanks for everyone that helped. oh yeh i has to shrink the pics heaps because the attach manager thingy wouldnt let me put em on unless they were small file size

Fiddy

lol good stuff, how did you fry the LPC-815?

Last edited:

cc6726

didnt actually end up getting the LPC-815, i just kept the normal 5mW aixiz diode... even 5mW was enough to entertain me with my first build:san:
but yeh the wires on the aixiz came off and when i went to re-solder them i must've done something cause the laser was like 1/8th as powerfull as before:thinking:, i ended up throwing the diode out and i will probly make the more powerfull 250-300mW laser soon. i have also recently ordered a green 50mW module so hopefully that goes abit better than this one

jimdt7

Sorry about your loss ! I have fried 3 diodes in total !

djayz

That is really a nice first build and a nice host..
i would prefer you get a LPC 815's they are 270+ mW and would fit in your build..