Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Making a list of fake or scam laser websites contribute?

Please throw down some websites please!! I hope this list will help people befor they make a mistake! :thanks:

k1kb0t

That is a good idea, it should probably be a sticky in the Companies section.

Jon

Last edited:
I agree with the concept of this thread, but I don't think it's as simple as just throwing a thread out there with a general call to post websites. The listings need to be substantiated or the risk is run that revenge for an unrelated, non-business issue will be a motivator for posting. Of course, that is assuming anyone takes enough interest for it to matter.

Also, discussion will inevitably lead to this becoming a flame thread, and we already have had enough of those.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is a bad idea but the truth is that LPF already has a pretty comprehensive list of offenders already throughout the "companies" section and more get added all the time. That's what this section is here for.

Taking that into account, the real burden of protection falls to the consumer. The more people use the search function before they buy the better it will be for them. It's really easy: If you want to know if the company you are considering buying a laser from is reputable, just plug the name into the search bar. You'll get an idea fairly quickly in most cases, and if you don't find anything there, ask here in the Companies section. Most likely someone will be able to tell you something about them.

IMO

Last edited:
Techlasers
Wickedlasers

But I know what you mean these I mentioned aren't fraudsters just scammers

what if the concept of this thread is changed to name the good companies? not pointing anybody in particular or the post above me.:whistle:

The only way something like this would work. Is if it was a locked thread.
Allowing only the admin or moderators to add names to the list.
It would be to easy for individuals to ruin someone's reputation.

Deals go wrong all the time, due to misunderstandings.
Most of the time they can be worked out. But that takes time. Most people are ready to call scam to quickly. With out giving the seller, time to work things out.

I would like to point out the potential for serious legal consiquences here. Say I posted and said that the website rpaloalto ran scammed me and they aren't trustworthy people, if they had scammed me, that's fine, but the second I put my personal opinion into the statement, it's libel, especially if I say don't buy from them. This is because I have intent to cause harm to the person's business.

If you even choose to do this, there cannot be any personal input to the claim and it has to be backed up by facts. I would STRONGLY advise against any sort of thread like this.

I would recommend that the companies forum be changed to include a header stating that by posting in the forum, you are accepting any and all liability for your comments and claiming that they are based on facts and do not include any personal opinions.

This kind of thread can lead to some serious shit for the Admin on the forum and for individual members.

There's no need to apologize. Your intentions are good. It's just that it's a little more complex than this kind of straightforward approach..

Really, this was a good idea, there is nothing wrong with this, you just have to consider the legal issues with it.

I don't think there is any reason to delete the thread.

ixfd64

I agree that we shouldn't call companies "scammers" without having any proof.

However, I think it should be OK for people to post about their (personal) negative experiences with such companies.

Guys,

IMHO this thread could be just summed up in the FAQ.

Thank Chuck we've got more trustworthy websites than scamming ones.