Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Making a FRAP microscope on the cheap?

DPSci

Here's the story, I'd like to be able to do FRAP experiments in my lab(biochemist here). I basically want to illuminate a single spot on my sample for around 50ms, which will photobleach it. I don't need to make weird shapes or even use multiple wavelengths (I'll need 488nm for my fluorophore).

Unfortunately Nikon FRAP microscopes are $200,000. While they are nice, I don't have that ind of cash :cryyy:.

Is there an easy way for me to optically focus a cheaper ~$6K Tem00 laser to a 30-50um diameter spot?

There's a paper/video in the literature where they use a dye cell laser. Those cost around $40,000. Is there any reason I can't just find a lens to focus the Tem00 laser I linked to earlier?

If this setup works, it will come in at around $40K total and I plan to publish the design in an open access journal(probably PLoSone), or if it gets rejected on a website. Thanks for your help, I really don't know much about lasers, but hopefully where there's a will there's a way.

I have 2 pairs of OD 6 safety glasses already ordered btw

Last edited:

Did you already buy it? If all you need is a focused 488nm beam, a used argon laser with a short FL lens will work. <$500. I don't think it would get you a publication though.

DPSci

No, I haven't bought anything related to the laser yet. Do you have any opinions on brands to avoid while I look on ebay?

Do you think this lens would be ok for me?

Shorter FL will result in a smaller spot. They can be found much cheaper. Here for example.