Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Make your own laser goggles!!!

wow, i just saw this hilarious video showing how to make your own safety goggles for like $5 here it is

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v_kLnGR6CA&feature=related[/media]

If it is we can get a person in LPF to start manufacturing these large scale for LPF members ! i might volunteer ;D :D ;D

that's like buying a space suit made by some guy in his garage

you really wanna risk your eyes for $45?

lighting gels *do* block lasers to a degree, though not for very long... for example look at around 1:22 when he's pointing it directly into the camera.. if he leaves the pointer in the same place for a second you can see a lot of light making its way through. This is because the pigments lighting gels aren't made to stand up to long exposures like that.. Real, certified eyewear is meant to stand up to something like 10 seconds of direct exposure before the pigments begin to degrade. A lot of research and development goes into making proper laser goggles, there's a reason they're expensive. If you could safely just use lighting gels then that's what the goggle companies would do, and we'd easily be able to find $1-$5 commercially made goggles, but it's not that simple.

pseudolobster said:
lighting gels *do* block lasers to a degree, though not for very long... for example look at around 1:22 when he's pointing it directly into the camera.. if he leaves the pointer in the same place for a second you can see a lot of light making its way through. This is because the pigments lighting gels aren't made to stand up to long exposures like that.. Real, certified eyewear is meant to stand up to something like 10 seconds of direct exposure before the pigments begin to degrade. A lot of research and development goes into making proper laser goggles, there's a reason they're expensive. If you could safely just use lighting gels then that's what the goggle companies would do, and we'd easily be able to find $1-$5 commercially made goggles, but it's not that simple.
So true, but these could be "disposable" for people who cant afford goggles at the moment? I doubt you will get direct contact, and if you do you will be able to take the laser away very quickly, they could be something you make if you want to show your friends your lasers burning power for the diffraction doesn't hurt them instead of spending hundreds on them

haha its better then no goggles at all.
But this guy is a joke you here that Carmel dancin song in the background ;D

Ya i was think of making some of these for my friends when i show them some of my lasers because of diffraction hazards

Benm

Oh well, the thing to ask: would you jump from a plane using a DIY parachute?

caleb said:
woah man, is this real?

Well i have a pair of 3D glasses (good ones, not the paper ones) that complettely block out green lasers. Only on the red side though :-/

LaserHead said:
[quote author=caleb link=1227482914/0#1 date=1227484146]woah man, is this real?

Well i have a pair of 3D glasses (good ones, not the paper ones) that complettely block out green lasers. Only on the red side though :-/[/quote]

One half blocks green, and the other half blocks red!

BROADBAND!!!

You are a GENIUS! Now for only the cost of a movie ticket, we can be protected against ALL wavelengths of laser light! I'm going to go see what the inside of my blu-ray looks like now!

-Mark

I have been thinking of gels for a while as I have one of those theater gel sample packs with 1000 or so samples in all different colors, with nifty little papers that show what wavelength they block.
So I tried it with the lowest blocking filter (double blue I think .5% transparency, congo blue is missing):
IT MELTED UNFOCUSED! these don't work at all up close, but from say 5 feet they might be ok for scatter but I definitely would not trust them.  

Even thought the pigment in the "safety glasses" is bleached after a second or two of direct exposure, it doesn't make these goggles useless or unsafe.
If you're wearing the goggles and point the laser directly into it for a prolonged period of time you deserve to go blind.

The goggles will be effective enough to block diffused reflections and momentary direct exposure.