Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Magenta from ps3 diode?

First real thread so be easy.

So my ps3 died on me... but after finding out about lasers. I thought could i make a laser from this? After looking around i found the ps3 diode has 3 wave lengths, red violet and ir. Then i stumbled on this http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/magenta-pointer-20395.html

They said that a pulse driver that alternates between the two could work in making a magenta laser which is both red and violet powered at once. Is it possible to power both at once? plus can anyone make such a driver? and possibly sell it?

I know it would be easier for a first timer to build a red or a violet but it's magenta. How could i say i'd rather have red or violet.

ARG

The KES-400a (PS3) sled contains a 5mW combination 405nm/650nm/780nm laser diode meant to read discs. The most you're going to get out of that diode is 10-20mW (if lucky) at around 50mA.

Use the search tool, a lot of your questions can be answered without even asking :)

JLSE

The problem with trying to combine the two wavelengths is that they
wont focus the same. In other words, if you have the 405nm focused to
a parallel beam, the red will not match in that the dot would be larger or
smaller..

To combine properly you need to first collimate both beams to a parallel focus
then combine the beam. With the PS3 LD's you can only use one lens and in
turn 2 different sized dots on the wall. It would only be 'combined' for the first
12 inches or so, then you will see the 2 wavelengths diverging at different rates.

If it were only as simple as the driver....

This is a very usefull site:
Blu-ray Reader Dissection by Leslie Wright and Sam Goldwasser - Main Page
The diode part of the site is probably what you're looking for:
Blu-ray Reader Dissection by Leslie Wright and Sam Goldwasser - Diode Page

It may be possible to power both at once, but at reduced power levels because of thermal issues. Running them alternate pulsed would be the best. The thread you point to already has suggestions. I'd use a simple opamp relaxation oscillator and inverter driving a current source, not very difficult to build.

The emitters are at a different location within the diode, so the eventual beams will have an angle with respect to eachother. Also, depending on the depth of the location of the emitters it will be hard to find a lens that will have both wavelengths in focus. The focal lens of a lens is slightly wavelength dependend. I think an achromatic lens will work the best, but you'd have to try.

@ ARGlaser: My post wasn't that complicated, the search engine has a lousy SNR and Polythene seems to have done his homework, so just pointing him to the search engine doesn't seem fair.

Thank you so much!

i'm not great with electronics so i'd have to buy a premade one would anyone be able to make me one?

Last edited:
Haha i feel like a idiot now.... opened my ps3 up and found i have the 3 and 4 pin diodes from the KES410a.. which i can't seem to find much about it. Proly gonna drive it around 40mA see how it goes.

Thanks for the help!

Yes, 40mA is what I believe people used to drive them at. I have a couple of the 400a's myself and used to pay attention to the magenta pointer threads. As mentioned they won't focus correctly, but it's still cool to try. I had mine working for like a minute, but the driver disconnected/reconnected and died (those were my "noob" soldering days). Good luck with your first laser, and don't be discouraged if something goes wrong... it took me 13 diodes until I had a "well-built" one.

Yeah it's a future project for me. btw can anyone make one of these drivers? or is there a tutorial to one?

Got this diode on a LM317t driver at 40mA doing to do the same to the red diode and try to combine them! Wish me luck.