Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

MADDOG 18x DVD writer diode is square?~!

Well, here a friend of mine came across this dvd writer for free from compusa, either way, we took it apart, and low and behold! I think i've found a sturdier type of diode

but anyhow, my biggest problem is: which lead is positive?!

Attachments

• cmount_diode.JPG
    cmount_diode.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 481

i think this is whats called cmount?

Attachments

• cmount.JPG
    cmount.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 526
well im not sure exactly what it is but i know with MY diode i can hook it up the wrong way round and its fine (just doesn't turn on). but maybe not all are ok being put in reverse.....

well, does anyon know anything about this kind of LD? i was hoping to convert this into a burning laser, lol, but i'm afraid i won't be able to heatsink it well enough without the aid of an axiz housing...

Switch

Use a multimeter to measure the resistance between each 2 pins so you could find the + and the - ;)
If you can't adapt it to the aixiz module or just don't have one, find some other slab of aluminum with a hole in it.

member02 said:
well, does anyon know anything about this kind of LD? i was hoping to convert this into a burning laser, lol, but i'm afraid i won't be able to heatsink it well enough without the aid of an axiz housing...

I got a diode looks just like yours from a Sony 18x DVD Burner DRU-830. I connected the (-) to the body and (+) to the right pin. I am unable to mount it inside a housing yet.

Attachments

• DRU-830.JPG
    DRU-830.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 275
I have those diodes too. the 2nd and 3rd pin is negative and the 4th pin is positive.