Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Machinists: How much information do you need before making a custom part?

Hey all,

I more or less have this heatsink design worked out. I have a rough drawing at the moment, and will do up a cleaner one prior to contacting anyone about making any. I'm looking for advice on what information I should include when making such a contact. I think I've got most of it outlined below but if I missed anything please let me know.

Basically, here is the idea: I want a cylindrical chunk of brass that will serve as heatsink and laser diode module. The HS press-fits into the host. Instead of using a diode press to install the laser diode, the diode drops into the the front of the heatsink, where it fits snugly, but not as tight as AixiZ pressfit. Space is made for the diode leads. The LD is held in place by a threaded retaining ring that fits over the diode can. It based on the design of the LaserBTB heatsink.

I have drawn this up , I like it overall and think it will work. I just need to get one made so I can try a build. Dimensions and thread sizes (if known) are on the drawing. I just need to do a cleaner drawing; this one is a bit rough.

I can take any number of photos of the hosts, parts, etc. as well.

Is there anything else I can do, or include, to help the machinist in doing a cost estimate and generally make their task easier? The design is more involved than a typical C6-style heatsink, so I would want to make everything as clear as possible and include as much as the machinist thinks is useful.

Any advice appreciated, thanks! Once I get everything re-drawn and whatnot I'll be able to move forward with this part.

The whole thing is "just for the hell of it" and one way to make these Laser 303 hosts useful. I wanted to try something different from the usual 12mm module "adapter" type heatsinks.

ARG

A clean orthographic drawing with dimensions helps the most IMO. An isometric view is also handy.

Remember, if you're sending this to a machinist not familiar with lasers to include tight tolerances on the 12mm hole for the aixiz module.

Like this:
3D-ortho-sample.gif