Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

M140 diode Q....

Gadget

My DTR M140 did not come on this morning. After thorough examination, the only thing I can find that looks out of place is that the little glass (crystal??) window in the aperture of the diode is loose. I can see it move around in the opening when I tap it.

I'm guessing that this is not kosher?

The only thing I did with it last night was a couple of minutes in the backyard, and a minute or so screwin around with a piece of textured Lumia glass (at pretty close range). Could a beam reflect have taken out the window?? I'm at a loss to explain this if that is not it.

Funny thing, tho, is that I turned it off like normal after the Lumia glass, and took out the batts. It never sleeps with the batts in.

Thanks,
Kev

Tmack

I can't help but feel like this is the middle of some explanations of a problem?

What kind of laser are you having trouble with? Dpss?

And a direct reflection can hurt a diode, but if it has a loose crystal that could be the problem too.

Bt let's start from the beginning here if you would :)

Last edited:

Gadget

Err...uhhh...the M140 in the subject?
The blue one in my sig.

K

Tmack

Oh ok . When you said crystal it threw me off.

I don't know for sure as I don't hear of it much, but the diode window may have come loose. And no that's not kosher at all haha.

I have also heard of a guy pointing two lasers at each other and killing one from the light from one entering the other.

How close is " close range" ?

Tmack

Try all the steps to eliminate some problems. Measure the batteries. Bypass the tail cap with a jumper wire.

It's weird how the diode window just came loose without it having suffered some kind of impact.

DTR

Pretty unlikely a window would come loose under impact shock as it is glued in place pretty well. It takes pressure on the can of the diode or window itself to break the adhesive. Most common I see is lenses that are screwed way to far down onto the diode with excessive pressure. Usually an extended G lens with 5.6mm diodes like this or any lens with the 9mm diodes where the can stick up real far into the module. I do very rarely see them come directly out of the projectors like this but testing should weed them out.:)

Gadget

Dammit, you know what?...it is completely possible that I did overtighten the lens last night without realizing it. It was a bit hectic here, lot's of visitors. Plus I keep a silicone rubber tail-clickie hat over the lens, so that could have very well padded my sense of touch from the killing blow....crap.:yabbem: Man, that diode peaked at 2550 on the meter, too...double crap!

Guess who's going to McGyver up a thread-stop for his lens barrel?!

Well, thanks DTR. If you'll PM your addy I'll send it off. If it can be saved, I know you can do it DTR.

Thanks

Tmack

Hey gadget, what was the driver set at to get 2.5w ? Pretty efficient diode you got there.

1.8?

Gadget

Tony...current is fixed. It's got the XDrive Mini on it. DTR will know what it's set at.

K