Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lyra G5 laser pointer

aleman

About a month ago I got my pointer from LaserGlow, took batteries that came with it and put them aside and put in a fresh set of Duracell AAA's. I have played with it almost every night and tonight I noticed that the beam really appears too be alot brighter. It is dusk outside and I am in my living room with only a light on in the kitchen and the beam seems to be alot brighter than before. Has anyone heard of this or am I seeing things? :-?

Hmm, this never happened to my Lyra G5 laser.
Did you ever drop it or anything? Perhaps the optical regulator got out of alignment.

aleman

Nope, its never been dropped. In a dark room my dog will not cross the beam now, where as before he never paid any attention to it..

perhaps the batteries that came with it has been stocked in inventory for too long.
Were they Alkaline or Zinc-Carbon "heavy duty" cells?

Alkalines work better for most items that draw more than 100ma of juice, so have "heavy duty" cells for remotes and clocks.

If the ones that came with it is Alkaline, then...
Depending on the light sources in your working environment, the laser dot may be relatively brighter or dimmer...this is a optical illusion and should not be a contributing factor from using different batteries.
Same goes with the beam, trying out my Galileo-5 in a room I just finished dusting the beam appears to have a ten-fold increase in intensity, but nothing else it changed.

aleman

I never put the batteries that came with it in the laser, just brand new duracells.

I'm thinking what you are seeing is just a mind trick from the lighting. My 170mW CNI appears to be more powerful in a dimly lit room than outside in pitch black because of the contrast to other things.

It also might have something to do with the stuff in the air, did you have anything for dinner than might have put a little bit of smoke or steam in the air? Just a little but of smoke makes a huge difference.

Maybe Its because of the transition from winter to spring? Anyone think that could be it. Like in the winter the atmosphere does not have as many particle in it as in the spring or summer time? < probably a dumb idea :D

gotwake424

Gotwake424 said:
Maybe Its because of the transition from winter to spring? Anyone think that could be it. Like in the winter the atmosphere does not have as many particle in it as in the spring or summer time? < probably a dumb idea :D

gotwake424

if hes outdoors and up north I agree
If hes outdoors and down south its completely upside down, the air is freshest in winters and now...only March, you should see what pollen does to a beam ;D

aleman

Hmm, dinner was sausage and pancakes. Weather has been alittle weird lately, yesterday tornados sightings and today it barely got over 45 degrees F

aleman

After further thought I think it might just have been due to an increase in humidity from the storms.

Justin

I have noticed that the act of frying sausages or bacon really does put a lot of oil particles in the air. This is about the same as using theatrical haze, as it tends to increase the beam visibility while not really making the air cloudy.

... Just a delicious observation. Mmm.