Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lumia Glass Question

Is the Lumia Effect more of a diffraction of light or refraction of light?

Please answer as soon as possible

Thank you!

Matt

shine yr laser thru the showerglass door- turn off the light--lumia.
put texture glass on slo mo motor and you got it. I like 1/3rpm- morphs nicely.
unlimited amt of glass and other objects that work.

Take a laser pointer to a glass & mirror shop- they have scrap texture glass in the dumpster often.

Last edited:
That wasnt his question Len.

Not sure Matt, but I would guess refraction. But I could be wrong.

That wasnt his question Len.

Not sure Matt, but I would guess refraction. But I could be wrong.

Diffraction (and to a limited extent, internal reflection).

There is some refraction going on, but the majority of the effect's nature comes from the diffracting action of the textured glass on the beam.

Last edited:
shine yr laser thru the showerglass door- turn off the light--lumia.
put texture glass on slo mo motor and you got it. I like 1/3rpm- morphs nicely.
unlimited amt of glass and other objects that work.

Take a laser pointer to a glass & mirror shop- they have scrap texture glass in the dumpster often.

That sounds like a good project I might like to try, it looks really cool with the textured glass! Just noticed this DIY lasershow using this kind of glass rotating slowly. It reminds me a bit of the effect you see when melting plastic with lasers. I really want to try this now! :cool:

At 3:05 it shows the textured glass.

Last edited:
That sounds like a good project I might like to try, it looks really cool with the textured glass! Just noticed this DIY lasershow using this kind of glass rotating slowly. It reminds me a bit of the effect you see when melting plastic with lasers. I really want to try this now! :cool:

AFAIK that's one of the Laserium effects. (Click through for a video -- it's well worth a watch if you haven't seen it before.)

Plastic/polymer lumia diffuser + high powered gas = the wheel would melt as it was being rotated through the beam path.

Of course, the wheel would have time to cool before the beam passed over it again, so you didn't have molten bits of wheel dripping towards the bottom of the chassis.

Last edited:
It is primarily refraction. Diffraction accounts for the splotchy speckle part, but the main wavy blob is due to refraction.

Last edited:
i make my own lumia wheels. it allows me to incorporate different effects on the same wheel.

Last edited:
sorry if my attempts to help do not fit within the parameters of some.

you would think some people have much better things to do with their time....
shhhesh

It is primarily refraction. Diffraction accounts for the splotchy speckle part, but the main wavy blob is due to refraction.

o rly nao? :)

I always thought most of it would've been diffraction (due to the texture of the glass itself).

sorry if my attempts to help do not fit within the parameters of some.

you would think some people have much better things to do with their time....
shhhesh

I'm getting worried about you Len, seriously. You've been acting strange for a while. Misinterpreting statements, not reading key posts, saying crazy stuff out of the blue, and giving misinformation sometimes because you're not reading the thread. In a few posts you were actually blabbering about stuff, and no one knew what you were talking about.

Are you OK??? This isnt like you brother. You're usually very sharp for the most part.

From what I understand, refraction is like when things look offset through glass because the light rays are being bent, or redirected. Diffraction is more like how our gratings work, they spread out the wave, kinda.

Edit: I warned you, it is "from what I understand" and so is very vague

Last edited: