Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LS Pulsed laser? (Laserbtb)

Hello, I was looking for a small entry level green laser pen to buy from Laserbtb, and noticed that there is a section for "LS Pulsed" lasers, which are a bit more expensive. What are they? And how are they different from normal laser pens? And also what will happen if I add an IR Filter to it? Will it be safer, dimmer, or what?

Also what are the things to consider in terms of safety when buying 50mw - 80mw laser pen? I never had an above 5mw laser before, so I wanna be really serious about eye safety when it comes to these things.

Thank you! :)

Last edited:

Hello me wants laser,

"Pulsed" lasers just simply mean that they don't operate in constant wave. Now, what is constant wave? Well, exactly what it seems like. A continuous wave of light is being delivered, whereas pulsed lasers quickly produce light which helps to produce longer runtimes and helping the stability of the laser. Now, don't worry about seeing a quick flash when you use your laser. Unless you have it quickly moving agaisnt a wall the pulsing operation is barely noticeable. Which is better? That comes down to personal preference. Some people don't mind, while others hate one or the other!

IR filters are simply added on the aperture of a laser which uses IR light(invisible) (used in DPSS process) to create the visible light we see, in example 473nm. IR filters help to block out any remaining IR light which is needed in the process of converting the light and block it from exiting the aperture as IR light is several times more powerful then that beautiful green beam you see due to efficient not being anywhere near 100%.

As for safety, 50mW is a good starting power IMHO. You'll get a very nice beam with it and it isn't as dangerous as some other greens you can buy(500mW+). Now, do take into account that while 50mW may not seem like a lot, it's plenty to cause serious harm to you or other life if misused so please, please be careful! What do you plan on using it for? If simply for shinning at stars outside then $50 safety goggles aren't a top priority, but do get them if your budget fits. If you plan on any sort of burning, or close contact to the beam or dot, it is very recommended to invest in safety goggles!

:yh:
-Alex

Last edited:

Pman

I'm pretty sure those pulsed units can switch between cw and a 2 pulse per second pulse. The IR filter is a very inexpensive option on those and most sellers don't offer it. I don't necessarily care about the IR blocking but you might as well get it since it won't interfere with the visible beam.

Hello me wants laser,

"Pulsed" lasers just simply mean that they don't operate in constant wave. Now, what is constant wave? Well, exactly what it seems like. A continuous wave of light is being delivered, whereas pulsed lasers quickly produce light which helps to produce longer runtimes and helping the stability of the laser. Now, don't worry about seeing a quick flash when you use your laser. Unless you have it quickly moving agaisnt a wall the pulsing operation is barely noticeable. Which is better? That comes down to personal preference. Some people don't mind, while others hate one or the other!

IR filters are simply added on the aperture of a laser which uses IR light(invisible) (used in DPSS process) to create the visible light we see, in example 473nm. IR filters help to block out any remaining IR light which is needed in the process of converting the light and block it from exiting the aperture as IR light is several times more powerful then that beautiful green beam you see due to efficient not being anywhere near 100%.

As for safety, 50mW is a good starting power IMHO. You'll get a very nice beam with it and it isn't as dangerous as some other greens you can buy(500mW+). Now, do take into account that while 50mW may not seem like a lot, it's plenty to cause serious harm to you or other life if misused so please, please be careful! What do you plan on using it for? If simply for shinning at stars outside then $50 safety goggles aren't a top priority, but do get them if your budget fits. If you plan on any sort of burning, or close contact to the beam or dot, it is very recommended to invest in safety goggles!

:yh:
-Alex
Thank you! I want it mainly for the beam, I might burn something with it from time to time... What are some good goggles to buy in $3 - $8 price range? And if someone wants to watch me burn something with it, do they have to wear goggles too?

I'm pretty sure those pulsed units can switch between cw and a 2 pulse per second pulse. The IR filter is a very inexpensive option on those and most sellers don't offer it. I don't necessarily care about the IR blocking but you might as well get it since it won't interfere with the visible beam.

Yeah its only $1.61 so I guess I'll get it, thanks. :)

Thank you! I want it mainly for the beam, I might burn something with it from time to time... What are some good goggles to buy in $3 - $8 price range? And if someone wants to watch me burn something with it, do they have to wear goggles too?

Most goggles you find on eBay would be sufficient for only 50-80mw, any higher and I wouldn't trust them. If you really want to play it safe then get yourself an Eagle Pair. I would definitely get the IR filter installed if you want to burn stuff, because the googles won't block IR.

If someone is watching you burn something then safety goggles are required for both you and the observer.

Most goggles you find on eBay would be sufficient for only 50-80mw, any higher and I wouldn't trust them. If you really want to play it safe then get yourself an Eagle Pair. I would definitely get the IR filter installed if you want to burn stuff, because the googles won't block IR.

If someone is watching you burn something then safety goggles are required for both you and the observer.

Thanks mate, now I can buy the laser with peace of mind. :)

If you are planning on a 50 mW to 80 mW laser, you won't be burning anything with it. As far as the IR component, it is not as great or collimated as people would lead you to believe. The IR filter will decrease to some extent the visible beam depending on the quality of the filter. Even the best filter will decrease your visible beam to some extent.

Last edited:

Pman

What Paul said is true but I wouldn't expect too much drop. What I'm more concerned with is if you plan on burning with it it's not strong enough for that. You should get a nice beam but forget about burning. You need to look at something more powerful and you may not realize it but those pens are not focusable. If you tell us how much you would be willing to spend plus shipping we could give you some options and those options probably won't include a 532nm strong enough to burn.

Last edited:

Razako

Need way more than 50-80mw to burn effectively. 50-80mw will just give you a nice beam to look at. 200mw+ is a good target if your goal is to burn stuff.

Its okay I'm not really planning on burning a lot I just want a nice bright laser with a good beam, I hope its a big difference from 5mw in terms of brightness...

Its okay I'm not really planning on burning a lot I just want a nice bright laser with a good beam, I hope its a big difference from 5mw in terms of brightness...

Yep, you'll notice a pretty nice difference between 5mW's of 532 and 50mW's of 532 :yh:

-Alex