Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF's Religion

Alaskan

LPF Site Supporter
I'm thinking God at it's base is consciousness itself, something it shares with us, to a very limited degree, or we couldn't exist. This also being the reason we don't die, as self-conscious being sourced from something beyond us, the consciousness I mean, we can't disappear after death.

Nutball

If there is a God, He would have logic and principles that apply to him in his forms of existence that would go beyond our senses. Fact existed before we did, but of course we had to develop our own ways of comprehending it: logic, ect, but the principles and explanations (sufficient to allow its function to exist even if they were not ones at the time compatible with our senses and understanding) still existed before receiving our terms for and ideas of it.

Edit:

"I'm thinking God at it's base is consciousness itself, something it shares with us, to a very limited degree, or we couldn't exist. This also being the reason we don't die, as self-conscious being sourced from something beyond us, the consciousness I mean, we can't disappear after death."

It's interesting how we share a likeness to God being made in His image such that we retain our consciousness and existence after the body dies while animals and artificial intelligence don't

Last edited:

BobMc

Bob, you may be a lot of things, but a scientist? No way. You are a fundamental evangelical christian looking for ways to make a case for what you already believe. That is not the way science is done. Science will never prove or disprove the existence of a god. It will never show that the earth is only thousands of years old because in so very many fields of science the earth has been shown to have existed for 4.54 billion years. Now, it may come to light that that number is off by maybe as much as 25%, but I doubt it. It will never show what you want it to show. Coming into a question with less than an open mind is not science. :na:

Well let’s see how you did this time;

1) I’m not a scientist- correct,
(never said I was one. But be advised, knowledge is the accumulation of facts, wisdom is the proper use of those facts. There are people in this world that have knowledge but no wisdom.)

2) I’m a Christian- correct

3) looking for a way to make a case for what I already believe.-incorrect,
(only looking for righteousness and truth, will follow wherever they lead.)

4)science will never prove or disprove God-incorrect
(it already has, the design in the creation demands a creator.)

5)will never show the earth is only thousands of years old -incorrect
(it already has, and most scientist agree. But they are like those when they figured out the earth was round and couldn’t speak out for fear of being killed. Now they fear losing their livelihood. I’m guessing within 20 years evolutionist are going to be laughed at just like those that persisted in maintaining that the earth was flat.
I’d give you evidence on top of evidence but you would poo-pop anything that didn’t fit your evolution mind set. But in the years to come, if your open, may your eyes be open.)

Let see; 2 correct and 3 incorrect. Everybody has to start somewhere. You have room to improve. Best wishes with your improving.

paul1598419

Well let’s see how you did this time;

1) I’m not a scientist- correct,
(never said I was one. But be advised, knowledge is the accumulation of facts, wisdom is the proper use of those facts. There are people in this world that have knowledge but no wisdom.)

2) I’m a Christian- correct

3) looking for a way to make a case for what I already believe.-incorrect,
(only looking for righteousness and truth, will follow wherever they lead.)
What you call righteousness and truth you get from a book written not to show how the heavens work, but how to get into heaven. That alone disqualifies you as you can't come to this question with an open mind, but one that is always guided by your interpretation of what that book says.

4)science will never prove or disprove God-incorrect
(it already has, the design in the creation demands a creator.)
I have no idea what that double talk even is supposed to mean. The design in creation only demands that the universe came into existence and nothing more. Saying it was created, therefore there must be a creator is hogwash. I am only guessing here at your meaning because what you said makes no sense at all.

5)will never show the earth is only thousands of years old -incorrect
(it already has, and most scientist agree. But they are like those when they figured out the earth was round and couldn’t speak out for fear of being killed. Now they fear losing their livelihood. I’m guessing within 20 years evolutionist are going to be laughed at just like those that persisted in maintaining that the earth was flat.
I’d give you evidence on top of evidence but you would poo-pop anything that didn’t fit your evolution mind set. But in the years to come, if your open, may your eyes be open.)
Most real scientists do not agree. Even the scientist that brought all this controversy up, Mary Schweitzer, doesn't agree and you admitted that. And she in an evangelical christian too. There are less than 0.001% of what most people consider a scientist would agree with you on this. You believe that the science of evolution that has been around for nearly 200 years is about to be swept away by these scientists. You are debating the values of a book you have not even read yourself. You don't even know what is in Darwin's "On The Origin Of Species" and you are trying to argue its worthlessness. At least pick up a copy and read it. You may find you agree with everything that's in it.

Let see; 2 correct and 3 incorrect. Everybody has to start somewhere. You have room to improve. Best wishes with your improving.
:tinfoil:

BobMc

:banghead:
I fear in the future you will point your finger at me and say “you, you knew, and you didn’t force me to listen”. Than I will respond with tears in my eyes, “I did all I knew how to do”

Last edited:

Nutball

I was on Paul's side with the head banging from your continued arguing, I just saw that coming a mile away, but I'm on your side, Bob, with most of it. He's a smart guy, but some things seem to flow through an empty gap between the ears, no offence intended. Perhaps this is the classic withdrawal of grace and hardening of heart like often mentioned in the bible? They were told, but didn't understand so their guilt would be less.

I often find stubbornness (I'm not pointing fingers at ANYone here) is common among very intelligent people, usually because they are so set in their ways of thinking since they trust so much in their history of high accuracy in determining truth and are slow to see things another way, or someone can't construct a solid enough argument with enough evidence to convince them otherwise like how some faith guided people or shallow thinkers can be easily swayed to think anything.

Last edited:

BobMc

The scriptures do say, “not many high and noble”. Think it means only people that are willing to humble themselves. Check out my video links there quite interesting and informative. :)

The last two are kinda short. 10 minutes-ish??

Last edited:

paul1598419

Bob, the day science turns away from the theory of evolution, and I mean theory in the scientific term, you have my blessing to gloat and say, "I told you so." Since this debate with you is an exercise in futility, I will not argue with you about it again.

CynicalBrad

Why do people act as if science and religion cannot co-exist?
This is something I have never understood. I firmly believe in science, just the way I am. I believe what I can see. Yet at the same time, although shaky at best, I believe in god at the same time. Do I read the bible or have it memorized? No, and I don't care to. I just try to live my life treating others decently and doing the moral thing for the sake of doing so, not because I fear going to hell if I do otherwise.

And as far as the "age of the earth" being a dividing point, I do not believe there is ANY passage in the bible (unless due to a faulty translation or misunderstanding somewhere in one of the VERSIONS of the bible) that put an age on this drenched rock we call home.

BobMc

Bob, the day science turns away from the theory of evolution, and I mean theory in the scientific term, you have my blessing to gloat and say, "I told you so." Since this debate with you is an exercise in futility, I will not argue with you about it again.
I will never gloat. But I’m here if you need me. Best wishes and prayers for you. :)

Last edited:

paul1598419

Why do people act as if science and religion cannot co-exist?
This is something I have never understood. I firmly believe in science, just the way I am. I believe what I can see. Yet at the same time, although shaky at best, I believe in god at the same time. Do I read the bible or have it memorized? No, and I don't care to. I just try to live my life treating others decently and doing the moral thing for the sake of doing so, not because I fear going to hell if I do otherwise.

And as far as the "age of the earth" being a dividing point, I do not believe there is ANY passage in the bible (unless due to a faulty translation or misunderstanding somewhere in one of the VERSIONS of the bible) that put an age on this drenched rock we call home.
I agree with you on this one. Though I don't believe in a god, per se, I see no reason why the two can't coexist. The problem with young earthers are a protestant preacher in the 19th century said he figured a way "mathematically" to calculate the exact age of the earth. That is where the hogwash started. But, paleontologists, like Mary H. Schweitzer, have no problem separating the two. I have no problem with what a person believes. It is only when they try shoving it in my face that I get my ire up.

BobMc

It’s amazing, someone stated that they were a “young earth” believer. And the knives came out, all over a simple post. It’s like nobody can have that position. Much less actually make a post so stating it. It’s like that speech is not allowed. I wonder why? Maybe because such speech challenges a world view, and it must be stopped at all cost. You’d think that if their world view was so solid, someone holding a opposing view, they could easily brush off. But by experience, I can say, they can’t.

Last edited:

paul1598419

Not at all. I try to correct any misiformation put on this forum. Doesn't matter if it is wrong laser ideas, or wrong electronics ideas. It is all the same to me. I shouldn't get into a debate with you because no matter what the evidence shows, you won't relent. Have you ever heard the saying, "thick as a brick"?