Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LPF "Back in the day "

hey everyone. Started my first forum membership in the beginning of August. Was searching for a quality laser and kept running into lpf during my searches. When I decided to become a member the first couple guys I talked to were livinloud and mainefungi. After a few days and budget assessment I walked away with my first laser. From then on I've been thoroughly hooked. It's crazy to me that someone can join this place for free, ask a question, and in minutes, you will have 20 answers from all over the world . it's crazy that the budget isn't met sooner because of all the forum gives to us. It also amazed me that total strangers would help just for the benefit of the hobby and helping a fellow hobbyist. I just wanted to start a thread to say thanks to all that have helped me during my time here. I know alot of you probably have similar stories and I would love to hear about some of the more seasoned members first experience on the forum. Like how it was in the beginning or when the vets we look up to now were rookies like me :) well thanks so much everyone here for all your help and support in my quest to fill a productive hobby. I hope to be a member for a long time and eventually tell a rookie how it was when I started. To all who have helped, sold to me, (or just given me a box of... Everthing(we all know the guy who does this :D) or guided me in the right direction, I want to give you my sincere thanks and I'm proud to call you my fellow members and friends.

Some of the older members care to tell about their start in the forum, I think it would be cool to hear some "back in the day" you could get a m140 and a lucky strike for a nickel. ;)

Last edited:

Re: Big thanks to LPF

It's awesome that you mention this. I'm surprised you are so new considering all the posts you have, I've seen you all over already haha.

Anyways I started a while back and had help getting my first laser(Looking at when I joined, it was more than a couple years ago! March 2011! That's crazy that it's already been that long). It was awesome and I loved it. The members here really helped.

I am now getting back into lasers and have been visiting the forums a lot more to learn what everyone is doing and whatnot. It's really an awesome community, and I appreciate everyone for what they do, whether it be tutorials or just answering questions. Nobody is doing this stuff because they have to, but because they want to.

So thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Here here i agree totally, i was much the same except i had lasers before i joined ,and I'm sure a lot of you have read about my sagas i have had getting lasers into Australia ( and losing them to customs) ..the budget is usually met ..i donate, most of the regulars do. Remember your wallet / credit card / wife? Will not like you gets rather expensive.

Last edited:

Things

Nothing but red (and IR) existed in diode form back when I joined :(

Nothing but red (and IR) existed in diode form back when I joined :(
And really that's not that long ago, must have taken a certain different perspective on what you were getting out of a hobby which seems at first to have a limited scope compared to now. Mostly now its about cash and more dreaded is customs in nanny country of the world ..but I'm starting to buy complete laser modules that you can just put in a C6, 501,S4 cree Q5 torch hosts and don't bother getting the host sent at all a small module is a lot easier to get past customs even if they open the parcel ...most torch host you can buy at jaycar or dick smith ,aztronics at less than 10 dollars.

Last edited:

Blord

Back then I was joining the LPF for only participating the groupbuy of the 200mW green laser from Skylasers. The Gb was organized by the lustered drlava.
Shortly afterward there was another GB from Senkat for the wonderful 200mW red lasers.
The laser virus has bitten me. :D

Pman

Back when daguin joined all the letters in the alphabet hadn't been invented yet so they were just ers:crackup: Just teasing...

Back when daguin joined all the letters in the alphabet hadn't been invented yet so they were just ers:crackup: Just teasing...
Don't know about ers but translation lasers ..daguin invented the letters L A and S ,so we had a better name for them rather than ers.:thanks:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Back when I joined there were probably less than 100 members. :D Red was about the only color that was being built by hobbyists. Blue and green only existed as expensive DPSS portables or gas lasers. 405 was non existent aside from very expensive gas lasers. Was a MUCH more expensive hobby to get started in then.

Trevor

Back when I joined, 8X Blu-ray diodes were just about to come out, and it was rare and unique to be in the "Class IV Laser Club" - but nowadays most people get a class IV as their first laser.

Trevor

Back when I joined, 8X Blu-ray diodes were just about to come out, and it was rare and unique to be in the "Class IV Laser Club" - but nowadays most people get a class IV as their first laser.

Trevor
True how many times have there been first posts i want laser i can burn, wood,break bottles, light matches from 100 feet away cut tywraps on vending machines etc ...we seem to live in a i only want the best straight off lets not get used to what we are doing, and know just how dangerous etc etc ..heard it heaps of times ..on a lower power laser not an eBay pen that actually is say 15 mW but even something with more grunt ,but no jump in and get a 2.2 watt blue laser ...bottom line is noobs really don't get that above that key chain laser for your cat to chase, they are not toys.

Last edited:
I joined a few months before the 445's came into play.

I came specifically looking to buy a 473nm laser for <$300

After a few weeks, I found a sketchy company and ordered one for $290, and it actually showed up.

Not long after, WL announced a superpowered blue laser at 1W... and now it's almost "pfft, 1W, right that's weak."

I was used to 200mW of red being what was "high-powered"

ARG

I lurked before the summer of 445nm, but joined only when I wanted to buy some Jayrob kits and a 445nm laser form a member here.

I lurked before the summer of 445nm, but joined only when I wanted to buy some Jayrob kits and a 445nm laser form a member here.
I think most of us lurked before joining even us noobs ...my first laser i saw was 1979 in high school .5 mW that's point five mW red ...it was exciting then and it only got more so, my physics teacher told me that laser cost 10000 dollars and was loaned out to other schools. It was the size of half a tissue box ....

Last edited:
I joined when it was just 16x burner diodes. Crazy how it's changed! I remember when Daedal built a 10mW 405nm laser and we were all astonished :D

Shortly afterward there was another GB from Senkat for the wonderful 200mW red lasers.

I actually still have one of these running! It's in a giant project box powered off of a 7805 circuit. It's my oldest working DIY laser.

daguin

I remember sitting at the meeting where we were discussing whether to "Let there be light" or not . . . .

Peace,
dave