Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lpc-826

How come no one is talking about or selling the new LPC-826 diodes here?

WTF they are all over the other forums.

rhd

I ordered 4x of them a few days ago. Hoping they're capable of a tad more than 815?

I've just read they're running around 250-300mw. Thanks for the notice TJ, I'm going to grab a few of these as well

daguin

How come no one is talking about or selling the new LPC-826 diodes here?

WTF they are all over the other forums.

Mainly because no one here has any in hand yet. The seller (XH) has made some abnormally (even for them) high claims for output (which, of course, are proving untrue). The idea was to not excite the members before we had some real data on the diodes. Remember the "S05" debacle? ;)
Also, the early offers were for 200 pieces minimum!

So far these do not look significantly better than the long open can diodes that we are already getting. It may be nicer to have the long, stock pins available, but right now, they are more expensive than the sleds we are already getting. I'm already getting 300mW out of 500mA.

So far, they do not look worth the extra cost

Peace,
dave

Info is info. Are we pre selecting products for review/introduction/testing now?? I dont get it. They are ~$17 now, unlike the S05s. I dont see why these should have been held back from the community.

So much for science, eh.

daguin

Info is info. Are we pre selecting products for review/introduction/testing now?? I dont get it. They are ~$17 now, unlike the S05s. I dont see why these should have been held back from the community.

So much for science, eh.

LOL! Always the troll

They were not "held back." XH has been offering them for awhile. I don't post about a "new" diode unless I have something to say. I still feel for the people who paid $115 for a diode based in my revue of one diode that turned out to be a freak.

Beyond that, I have always decided what I would tell people and what I would not. I am fairly sure that you do this as well. Science requires "informed" notice, not hype

Peace,
dave

anselm

From laserfreak.net:

The far east diode seller for the group buy claims "some 50-100mW more power".
The dimensions and beam caracteristcs are the same as LPC822, just more output.
Emitter is at the same position, so position relative to the lens doesn't change either.
file.php

LPC 826 vs LPC 822#

You can easily see the longer optical die (?).

Expected/estimated ouput is 300mW.
Testing is necessary to know for sure, though.

They arrived!
First (cautious) test:
almost 275 mW cw at ~ 400mA.

end of translation.

You know how the projector crowd likes to drive their diodes conservatively,
so I am making the bold assumption we can get 300mW out of these easily.:D

daguin

That is a comparison to a short open can

Here is what the LPC815 looks like. It, too, is a long open can

longopencandiode2.jpg

The "difference" is no longer so "striking", eh?

LPC815's are ~$7.50

Peace,
dave

LOL! Always the troll

Its not that. I thought we discussed all new laser technology. I couldnt find one post here. Even if the info says they are garbage I think it should still be discussed so people are allowed to make up their own mind.

IIRC most LPCs didnt make the 300mW threshold. So I dont see why this info should be swept under the rug. Hell, its ironic that I am the one bringing it to light here. There is something wrong with that. :tinfoil:

daguin

Its not that. I thought we discussed all new laser technology. I couldnt find one post here. Even if the info says they are garbage I think it should still be discussed so people are allowed to make up their own mind.

IIRC most LPCs didnt make the 300mW threshold. So I dont see why this info should be swept under the rug. Hell, its ironic that I am the one bringing it to light here. There is something wrong with that. :tinfoil:

I couldn't POSSIBLY discuss ALL that I read about. Will you now be upset to know that I haven't posted anything about the two Opnext diodes (637nm and 642nm) that I am looking at right now?

Nothing was "swept under the rug." There was just nothing worth talking about yet. I didn't tell you not to talk about them. I didn't try to squelch this thread. In case you didn't notice, we ARE talking about them now that you have posted about them. I just answered your question about why (for me) nothing was being said about them here.

I have also posted a minor debunk of the notion that these "new" diodes are "better" than the old ones. So far, to me, they simply look like someone found a source for the diodes alone rather than getting them from a sled. We do NOT "know" about this 300mW threshold yet. LOC's have always made it to 300mW. It is just that most of them did not survive long at that current. XH is claiming that these make >500mW. Should we post XH's bullcrap claims as well or should we wait until we have a better idea of what is going on.

That choice is for each individual to make. I chose not to share the info. You chose to share the info. The conspiracy is isolated in your own cranium.

I guess we are just very lucky to have you onboard

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
Thanks Dave for your insight !

I did loose over 230 smackers on the "S05" debacle so not hearing some one tout these as the next big thing was cool for me ;)

long pins don't mean squat to me at least not worth $9.00 more :)

Mainly because no one here has any in hand yet. The seller (XH) has made some abnormally (even for them) high claims for output (which, of course, are proving untrue). The idea was to not excite the members before we had some real data on the diodes. Remember the "S05" debacle? ;)
Also, the early offers were for 200 pieces minimum!

So far these do not look significantly better than the long open can diodes that we are already getting. It may be nicer to have the long, stock pins available, but right now, they are more expensive than the sleds we are already getting. I'm already getting 300mW out of 500mA.

So far, they do not look worth the extra cost

Peace,
dave

Dave you're taking it personal. I was speaking in general to the entire community. Sorry to confuse you, but at your age I'm sure it happens a lot. :beer: I dont think there is any conspiracy, just that no one cares anymore.

For me, I'd rather read new diode info than...

"I want a burning laser"
"What laser should I buy"
"What does mW mean"
"I want cheap, but powerful"

That craps been old for years now. Anything new would be a plus here, negative of not. I dont know why you are on the defensive about it. I would think it would be a good for the forum in general. But you obviously dont feel that way, so we will agree to disagree. No need to debate, or try to put someone down because they dont agree with you. Thats my job. :eg:

daguin

Dave you're taking it personal. I was speaking in general to the entire community. Sorry to confuse you, but at your age I'm sure it happens a lot. :beer: I dont think there is any conspiracy, just that no one cares anymore.

For me, I'd rather read new diode info than...

"I want a burning laser"
"What laser should I buy"
"What does mW mean"
"I want cheap, but powerful"

That craps been old for years now. Anything new would be a plus here, negative of not. I dont know why you are on the defensive about it. I would think it would be a good for the forum in general. But you obviously dont feel that way, so we will agree to disagree. No need to debate, or try to put someone down because they dont agree with you. Thats my job. :eg:

The "defense" comes from your choice of verbiage. Your words sound like some esoteric "we" is "holding back" valuable info. Instead of just sharing your "discovery" you chose to accuse others of holding back, and sweeping it under the rug. There is nothing "wrong" with YOU bringing the info out. It is your choice

You didn't know about the diode. Who's fault is that? You sound a lot like the people who post the threads you listed above

I just read about something cool. How come you guys didn't tell me about it?

Not my job, mate. I miss stuff all the time and I probably spend more time online than most.

Those posts you listed above are the nature of LPF. It is an "entry point" to the world of the laser hobby. We have been getting those same kinds of threads as long as I have been here. We will ALWAYS get those threads as long as we are doing our jobs.

You want to read about a new diode? Buy one, do some research, and post something about it.

Peace,
dave