Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Low-tech all colour laser

I just thought of a non-toxic way to use mildly toxic fluorescent dust to build an all colour laser. You would build a plexiglass or glass enclosure about 3' x 2' x 2' , with a 98% UV transmissive window. See where I'm going with this? Then install a small fan inside that is running at low setting and have a resealable vinyl hose feed some of the fluorescent material from the top over the fan(very tiny amount). Turn on the 250mW 6x (UV) laser, and any suitable colour fluorescent material you have on hand should do it. You would mix different colour dye particles to get any of 16+ million colours then. :D
Edit: you would have to wipe down the window you are viewing through from time to time, but thats not hard to do. Imagine doing this in a darkened room. Also use mirrors to bounce the beam around the enclosure. Mirrors would need to be wiped down from time to time as well as the UV window.

Last edited:

Err... no. Might as well use water and florescent dye (high lighter), allot simpler.

If I do it I'll take pics. You will see a more distinct beam I think if it is done in air instead of in liquid. But liquid will give you a fast way to get a few different colours.

Are you trying to permanently change the beam in a way like a dye laser does? If so this method won't work because the beam is only fluorescing the particles in the air just like the highlighter in water trick.

Are you trying to permanently change the beam in a way like a dye laser does? If so this method won't work because the beam is only fluorescing the particles in the air just like the highlighter in water trick.

Yeah, this.

To elaborate, your beam will only change colour within your chamber, it won't affect the colour of the beam exiting the aperture. The best you're going to accomplish is making a shiny box full of multicoloured light with a diminished bluray beam coming out the end.

Too bad there's no way to make the particles keep on floating on a static closed container :(

No interest in having the beam exit the chamber. I just wanted to be able to view any colour beam in the spectrum within the chamber. Imagine any colour at all and you could produce it within the chamber with the right mixture of dye colours.

Doofus

Pictures if you do it. We're all so obsessed with colors, I'm sittin here thinkin "oooohhhh... sound sensitive power... music... light... :O" ANY color.. mmm.

Anyway, pix!

The big drawback to the design, is that the chamber must be completely wiped down to change colour to another, unless you can sequence a mix that is compatible with the next. So changing colours will usually mean wiping down. The fan should be able to keep the particles in suspension if it is at the right speed and angled towards the bottom.

It works without the UV window. I have a beautiful blue beam inside an aquarium, 2' x 2' x 2'. I found some fluorescent blue dye at the craft shop in powder form, and my 6x is causing the dust to fluoresce with the small fan on low. My camera is on the blink right now but I'll post pics when I can.

it works without the uv window. I have a beautiful blue beam inside an aquarium, 2' x 2' x 2'. I found some fluorescent blue dye at the craft shop in powder form, and my 6x is causing the dust to fluoresce with the small fan on low. My camera is on the blink right now but i'll post pics when i can.

pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics