Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Low power 445

midias

I really love my >1W 445nm build but I also want something a little more safe.

I am thinking of building a 445nm keychain low power but I am not sure what mw I can get out of it. So I was curious what is the lowest mw rating you have gotten out of a 445nm diode?

DrSid

I once had it with direct drive so low it did not burn at all, not even smoke black plastic. I estimate it at lower then 50mW.

Canuke

While setting up my Microboost 1A 445nm unit last night, I was using a bench supply with current control. I found that I could feed in as little as 10mA (at 2.2V) into the Microboost and get what looks like as little as 1mW from the laser -- but it's still lasing. There is a PWM quality to it, so that's happening -- perhaps the Microboost is storing energy until there's enough to pulse the diode to lasing. I doubt it's the most efficient setup.

Turning up the current slowly gives a nice smooth increase in output power up until about 1.5A in @ 2.2V, where it's about half the full output. It then wants to "jump" to the full output at normal 18650 voltages.

It's rather funny that where using two drivers in parallel is the path to the highest outputs, using two of them in series might be the way to get these diodes down to Class IIIA levels.

It's handy for focussing without frying the fingers.

Last edited:

midias

Thanks for the ideas I think I may look into a pen build with a flex drive. I have built a lm317 test box with high and low current settings so I may just hood a 445 up to that and mess with the current while watching my laserbee to see what I can get.

I really love my current 445nm but it maxes my laser bee at 1050mw and I don't feel safe without glasses. I just want a blue I can turn on and not have to see through a rose color.

DrSid

That is not safe without glasses at all .. get some .. but I agree .. that blue is pretty to look at and some lower power version is good idea. I plan to go for 200mW.

midias

That is not safe without glasses at all .. get some .. but I agree .. that blue is pretty to look at and some lower power version is good idea. I plan to go for 200mW.

I have glasses and I do use them but I want a blue that does not need glasses.

I've done some testing of the 445nm LDs from the Casio projectors
and posted it on the Forum...

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/post-your-ma-mw-51432-9.html#post724309

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/post-your-ma-mw-51432-10.html#post728480

You can see that the Lasing output measured at lasing threshold
was ~7mW.. and Lasing starts at ~ 200mA...

BTW... you can still get a reading on an LPM even if the Laser is
below the Lasing Threshold... but you will not be reading lasing
power... only optical power...

Jerry

Last edited: