Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking to Purchase a 593.5nm Laser!!!

Hey guys,

I have been marveling about yellow lasers since I first saw them here at LPF and have finally mustered up the courage to save up and buy one :)! As I have an EXTREMELEY limited budget, I want the least expensive yellow laser out there. I have looked around a bit and so far found that the Rigel-2 from Laserglow is the cheapest, running at $399. I have also seen a cool thread here that said that gently pot-modding a Rigel will not decrease it’s lifetime that significantly, since factory-settings under-power the IR diode that it uses. So I am thinking that I could milk around 5-10mW of yellow light from the Rigel-2 for around $400.

Could anybody answer these questions?

- Is the Rigel-2 the least expensive yellow laser out there? I don’t care what power, but if there is a cheaper yellow laser than the Rigel-2 I will buy that one instead.

-Is it fairly safe for me to pot-mod a Rigel-2, or any other yellow laser for that matter? If so, how much can I pot mod it?

-If not the Rigel-3, what is the least expensive yellow laser on the market?

-I know that other sites sell 593.5nm lasers with a wider range of power, but do they all use the same power-rated diode, just set to different currents?

It would be great if someone could answer these questions since I want to spend my money as carefully as possible. Thanks!

-Jakob

Last edited:

1.-Use black font, I can't read nothing.

2.-Chek this http://www.rog8811.com/lowcostyellowpointer.htm

Yours,
Albert

Hm, my screen is white and the font is showing up black. Maybe it’s your PC? Anyways, thanks for the link. I would try that, but right now I have a lack of sufficient equipment, or at least a lack of sufficient skills to use the equipment that I do have to their full potential… So for my first yellow, I think I will buy one that’s already made, and a DPSS with one solid color. Thanks for the link anyways!

-Jakob

diachi

Hey guys,

I have been marveling about yellow lasers since I first saw them here at LPF and have finally mustered up the courage to save up and buy one :)! As I have an EXTREMELEY limited budget, I want the least expensive yellow laser out there. I have looked around a bit and so far found that the Rigel-2 from Laserglow is the cheapest, running at $399. I have also seen a cool thread here that said that gently pot-modding a Rigel will not decrease it’s lifetime that significantly, since factory-settings under-power the IR diode that it uses. So I am thinking that I could milk around 5-10mW of yellow light from the Rigel-2 for around $400.

- Is the Rigel-2 the least expensive yellow laser out there? I don’t care what power, but if there is a cheaper yellow laser than the Rigel-2 I will buy that one instead.

-Is it fairly safe for me to pot-mod a Rigel-2, or any other yellow laser for that matter? If so, how much can I pot mod it?

-I know that other sites sell 593.5nm lasers with a wider range of power, but do they all use the same power-rated diode, just set to different currents?

It would be great if someone could answer these questions since I want to spend my money as carefully as possible. Thanks!

-Jakob

The cheapest Yellow laser I have seen ( @ 593.5nm ) Is the Rigel-2 However, you can get a yellow HeNe gas laser on eBay pretty cheap if a deal comes up. This would probably be at 2mW and you wouldn't get anymore power out of it.

While the Rigel may be modifiable, I do not think that if I just spent $400 on a laser, that I would want to be messing about with the power of it.

As for the different powered yellow DPSS lasers, some will use the same type of pump diode, others will use larger pump diodes. The GLP-593.5 ( Rigel ) lasers will all use the same pump, but the bigger " Brother " the PGL-III-593.5 ( vega ) will use a bigger pump diode than the GLP-593.5 but all of the PGL-III-593.5 models will use the same diode, just at different currents, same goes for the GLP-593.5 .

Also, I have heard that yellow lasers are really fussy as to what power they will output, since the temperature needs to be bang on optimum in order for any good power to be emitted, or lasing to happen at all.

Regards,

Adam

The cheapest Yellow laser I have seen ( @ 593.5nm ) Is the Rigel-2 However, you can get a yellow HeNe gas laser on eBay pretty cheap if a deal comes up. This would probably be at 2mW and you wouldn't get anymore power out of it.

While the Rigel may be modifiable, I do not think that if I just spent $400 on a laser, that I would want to be messing about with the power of it.

As for the different powered yellow DPSS lasers, some will use the same type of pump diode, others will use larger pump diodes. The GLP-593.5 ( Rigel ) lasers will all use the same pump, but the bigger " Brother " the PGL-III-593.5 ( vega ) will use a bigger pump diode than the GLP-593.5 but all of the PGL-III-593.5 models will use the same diode, just at different currents, same goes for the GLP-593.5 .

Also, I have heard that yellow lasers are really fussy as to what power they will output, since the temperature needs to be bang on optimum in order for any good power to be emitted, or lasing to happen at all.

Regards,

Adam

Adam,

I looked on Dragonlasers and they have a 1mW 593.5nm laser for $289.99. This is the cheapest price I have found, so I have arranged with pheonix77 to spring for it! I don’t think I will try to modify it, or maybe just a slight twist to the POT, nothing major. I don’t think I would like a HeNe for now, because I live a pretty back and forth life, so I would like most or all of my lasers to be portable. I will keep in mind what you said about the temperature also.

So a good rule of thumb to go buy is that the same model name will use the same diode? If so, my next yellow purchase would probably be the weakest Vega modified to the power of the strongest one, saving me a good $1000 or so :). Thanks for all of the info!

-Jakob

D

Deleted member 8382

lol but it's much more chear to try what I said and you will get an amazin yellow laser with the highest power ever!

Yeah, but like I said, right now I have no tools to do that and my birthday is coming up so I am going to have the money for this one. I will eventually work on that project, as having a yellow, green, and red laser all in one is pretty cool, but for now I will just buy one instead of making it through a different alternative. Have you actually done this mod yourself?

Again, thanks for the suggestion.

-Jakob

Hey guys,

-Jakob
Don't forget about the 10% off code for Laserglow, that's a good $40 off right there! You could also wait until they give a special discount, I remember last year on Boxer's day they gave a 15% discount, which is when I picked up my Lyra. (Hmm, that was May 18 last year!)

Ohhhhh. Lots of discounts! I was going to order one through phoenix77 from Dragonlasers because he's a silver member, therefore gets a 3% discount. But I will have to watch out for these discounts! I would rather have a Rigel than a 1mW laser. But we'll see.

-Jakob

P.S. What's the 10% off code?

Try this:
It was in the Laser Company Discounts thread. I know there was another one specifically for the forum, but I cannot find it :(
If that doesn't work then you should send Justin (he works for LaserGlow) a message and he'll let you know the code.

Try this:
It was in the Laser Company Discounts thread. I know there was another one specifically for the forum, but I cannot find it :(
If that doesn't work then you should send Justin (he works for LaserGlow) a message and he'll let you know the code.

Oooooh. Aaaaaah. Brought it down $40.20 (10%) Now, I believe that it will be a done deal. Thanks so much for the code! I hope I get enough $$$ before they take it away! And is Justin here on LPF? `Cause I did talk to a Justin who said that there were no discounts available when I called. I guess he forgot about this one! Thank you very very much. You just saved me a good $40! I can buy an extra dilda now :D!

@pianoman2011 - when you get it, post photos!

Don't worry. I'm pretty sure that not posting photos after you receive your first yellow laser is against the law. :D I'm so excited. I hope my money builds up fast!!!

-Jakob

I think you just missed the CNI groupbuy, which was the best deal for a 593.5 laser I've personally ever seen on this forum. You should definitely contact scopeguy to see if you can still get in on it.

CNI is the manufacturer of LaserGlow's lasers, including the Rigel. In the CNI groupbuy, I basically got a Rigel <5 and an Aquarius <15 for $750 total, shipped to my door. (Yes, that's a Rigel <5, which they don't typically sell, because they can't guarantee them to be over 2 on any consistent basis, but they selected choice units for the groupbuy. Mine metered 3-4mW on scopeguy's meter when he received all the lasers.)

Love mine though, you can't go wrong with it if you want the color.

I think you just missed the CNI groupbuy, which was the best deal for a 593.5 laser I've personally ever seen on this forum. You should definitely contact scopeguy to see if you can still get in on it.

CNI is the manufacturer of LaserGlow's lasers, including the Rigel. In the CNI groupbuy, I basically got a Rigel <5 and an Aquarius <15 for $750 total, shipped to my door. (Yes, that's a Rigel <5, which they don't typically sell, because they can't guarantee them to be over 2 on any consistent basis, but they selected choice units for the groupbuy. Mine metered 3-4mW on scopeguy's meter when he received all the lasers.)

Love mine though, you can't go wrong with it if you want the color.

Scopeguy20 (Glenn) JUST PMed me last night!!! I am now getting the Rigel from him for $312 shipped to my door! This is sooo exciting! And I didn’t know that it was a <5mW Rigel also! I will ask scopeguy what power mine is going to be. I’m going to PM him right now. This is such a good deal!

-Jakob