Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking forward to being an active member!

Hey everyone, Im Jay,

I am a wireless network architect for an international company out of Pittsburgh, PA

I am working on my first laser build now. a 3W 445nm handheld.

Already hit my first snag, my 35mm copper heatsink from RickTrent4 on Ebay is a little too big for the host i tried to use:

WAYLLSHINE(TM) C8-T6 5-Mode XML CREE LED 1000 Lumen Flashlight Torch for Riding, Camping, Hiking, Hunting & Indoor Activities

From amazon.

so I have purchased a 3800lm 3x Cree XML Xm-l T6 LED Flashlight Torch and 18650 Rechargeable Batteries + Charger (Trustfire)

in the hopes that it will work with that heatsink.

I am waiting for the 9mm diode, 2.4 amp driver, and g2 lens to come from DTR Laser's... Jordan has been awesome in answering my questions and shipping my equipment quickly.

A new soldering station is on my wish list. I am using a simple handheld right now.

I plan to post a build post when I begin. Critique/ comments are appreciated.

Allan (Pi R Squared) has been great, he cleared a few things up earlier for me regarding Diodes.

Anyways thanks for having me! I look forward to getting to know everyone.

SteveT

Hi Jay,

Welcome to LPF and the very best of luck with your build!

starting out small I see.... lol

one member who is helpful would be JayRob- and he machines his own aprts to so..also flamipyro and Mccrouse- have lathes etc.

there are some notable laser folks in your state- mariomaster and Jeffthe00 are but two- jeff is more into handlelds tha MM who builds projectors and CNC cutters 3-d makers - lots of KOOL stuff.

BUT Most notable you may know Dr Sam- keeper of the 'laser bibles'

he is retired tenured (iirc) prof from UPenn and lives in Philly -I bet you two could pick each others brains for days on end- I got to be around him twice at SELEM 2010 and 2012 IIRC- and just never had enough time to face to 'face to face' with Sam. he warranties all the laser gear he sells for life- at least the labor- I have a yellow HeNe from Sam and love all 6 mWs.

I have been reading a Sam's Laser FAQ for 15 years and still have more there to read.

as to yr problem looks like you need to (if staying with that host) need to enlarge the host or make the heatsink smaller or a little of both.

One member with a ton of good info is DTR and he has seen/used prolly as many or more hosts than most here- And imo even carefully measured parts are more easily made if the machinist has the actual parts in hand that you need to fit-another choice is to get with any vet member who makes custom hosts--

good luck and we are waiting for your pics!!

hak

Wow, that's alot of info! Thanks alot! I ordered a custom heatsink from Mrcrouse and it should be here Wednesday (my birthday!) I'll post pics when I get it together!

Jay

happy B-day Jay

Mike and his dad have made some items for me & could not be happier.

have you narrowed down what you want to be when you grow up??

I ask because I am looking for more options myself.

when I do grow up. no hurry