Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for the right material to make springs.

I need to make some springs for some laser hosts and wanted to know what would be the best material to use that you could solder to. Thanks for any help.

go to a carquest auto parts store they have a rack dedicated to all kinds of springs. but to directly answer your question, you need spring steel to make a spring. and to solder to it, make sure you use a good flux and plenty of heat.

piano wire is a very good substitute and can be bent into a spring and soldered, I have done this..

Peace All Pyro... :eg:

I second piano wire and auto part springs.
BUT If you get ready made springs you will usually find they are plated or galvanized, you need to take a file to them to get down to bare metal or the solder will not take. I purchased a box of various springs for about £3 from ebay I have been able to make loads of battery housings and springs are useful for all kinds of applications.

Regards rog8811
Edit.... pici of springs soldered to brass strip for my "pocket white" you can maybe see that they do not taper down but that doesn't matter ;)

Attachments

• switch-negs01.jpg
    switch-negs01.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited: