Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for help with a lite-on 4x laser

I'm looking to dissect sed drive and build myself a laser pointer type thing. I'm experienced with electronics and taking things like this apart, so that shouldn't be a problem, but I am really new to lasers. I'm really glad I stumbled upon this forum, it looks like you guys can get me pointed in the right direction.

Can anyone give me some detailed information on this diode? Does anyone have experience with it?

Where can I find a driver for it, or info on haw to build one.

What would it take to get all three lasers in it running (CD, DVD, and BR)? It would be neat to be able to switch, especially to IR for night vision applications. Would this require a separate driver for each? I'm assuming they wouldn't need separate optics because they are already used together in the drive.

Thanks for any help!

cust11

First off.. Welcome to the forums!

Now to answer your questions:

Information on the 4x: It is stuck between the PHR and the 6x. I would go up or down one depending on what type of power you are looking for (disregard my signature, my diodes have death wishes). For a PHR 110mA and shoot for about 175mA on a 6x. Fewer people have done the 4x so support may be difficult. For its current I would say somewhere around 140mA being a guess.

For a driver: You have 3 easy choices which depend on your application. There are some DIY schematics, rkcstr, and Drlava. The Drlava flexdrive is the smallest. It is also a buck/boost style driver which is made to run from 2.5v-5v. The rkcstr driver is linear and has a voltage drop across the board. For a bluray you would want to run 7-9v though a rkcstr for correct voltages. All 3 drivers need to have their current set with a test load. (posted below). You can find the above mentioned drivers in the B/S/T section or
http://www.rkcstr.com
http://hacylon.case.edu/ebay/laser_diode/Micro_FlexDrive.php

I did it for you :p

To run each driver you will need a module to house each, as well as a driver and power supply for each. All 3 diodes take different voltages and require different current (mA). If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

-Mike

Attachments

• test load01.jpg
    test load01.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 404
Thanks, cust!

I was thinking about finding the correct voltage for the other two, what do you think about soldering some small wires where the output goes to the diode in the assembly and then running it with a CD or DVD in it? Or if someone has an idea of the correct voltages/currents for them that would be great.

I may end up developing my own driver board for all three outputs, does anyone have a good schematic?

Thanks.

cust11

For the red diode I want to say 3v (flexdrive takes care of this and rkcstr needs 5-5.5v) I may be wrong as I do not deal with red diodes. As for the IR, it is pretty weak anyways and IMO is not worth the $$$ for the driver and module/host. I would suggest starting out with a PHR-803T build if you want something DIY and fun. Ruining a $10 diode is much easier to stomach then a 6x ($60~) or an 8x($200). You got questions? I have answers :p

-Mike

OK, I might not use the built in IR. Do you know of a place that sells IR diodes?

ETA: one more thing I was looking on digi-key, and they had laser driver ICs. Do these preform the same function as the driver boards? It seems like programing one of those and wiring it up might be simpler or more compact than using the board based ones. Or just different...

Last edited:
YAY! The drive came on the brown santa truck today! I would like to test it out, would it be OK to use the driver board from my dead green pointer? I will build up the test load and adjust the POT so it is outputting right. The board runs off of a 3.0v battery, is that OK?

Thanks

probably not. the green lasers usually use drivers that aren't very stable.
....but honestly i'm not ENTIRELY sure.
if you want a cheap quick driver you can get the parts for one at radio shack for around $5.
you can also get a micro-drive from rkcstr at rkcstr.nfshost.com (unassembled fixed curent is only $7.50)

have you gotten all these things?
driver (rkcstr.nfshost.com for cheapest other than a DIY driver)
Aixiz module (for collimating the light into a laser beam)
host (project box or modded flashlight)
heatsink (keep the diode cool)
power source - going to need atleast 7.2v-12v if your using a DDL or rkcstr driver

Last edited:
heh, just buy one of my kits, then run over to modwerx.com and buy a blank aixiz module for $4 and you'll have everything you need for a blu-ray laser pointer.

thanks I plan on buying a kit, but I want to test the diode today. If I can build a quick driver that won't fry anything, I'll do that just to test... I probably have most of the parts on hand.

Does someone have or have a link to a diagram for a driver?