Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for a outdoor / waterproof green laser ($150~)

Hi Guys! First post here. I am looking for a laser pointer for outdoor use. I do a lot of back-country skiing, so I would like something I can take with me to point out mountains and stars. Also, in an emergency situation, it would be nice as a signaling device if I ever needed to get a helicopter or another person's attention (at night). I have a few questions for you guys. First, does the ambient temperature mater? Do these handheld lasers have a problem operating in below freezing temperatures? Also, what about waterproofing? There does not seem to be a lot of waterproof lasers out there. I would like to be able to drop it in the snow without issue. From what I am reading here, it seems 100mw would be enough for my needs. Would also prefer continuous use. Any recommendations? Thanks so much!

I wouldnt plan on using a green laser (532nm) in your case.... they are DPSS modules, and are EXTREMELY temperature sensitive. 5 or more minutes in 20 degree weather and my good laser will start to dim noticeably, cant imagine what it would be like dropping it in snow....

Waterproof hosts arent uncommon anymore.... but even then I imagine its still going to react to the temperatures you are describing...

For star pointing and signaling, a ~50mw 532nm would probably suffice, you might even be able to use a little lower in power than that even. 445nm (blue) are probably too powerful for signal use (unless you were extremely far away). I dont advise ever shining a laser at a helicopter though, its very illegal....

You have a bit of a conundrum here.... green makes the most visible beams (without having to have crazy power), however they are so sensitive to temp that I dont know how you would use one....

Might need to go up in price a bit, and IMO no laser is truly waterproof (at least not worth risking :p) but your best bet would be to contact Len/Hakzaw, and Jetlasers.

I definitely would NOT go with a green laser. A 445nm laser would work in low temperatures just fine though. I've used mine in 10 degree weather without any problems.

go o-like.com or yourlasers.com there are the best lasers and very very cheap :angel:

Wow, never knew green lasers were so sensitive to temperature. I found this one:

ND3 Subzero Green Laser Designator tactical missions in cold weather | Laser Genetics

that claims to work in 0 degree F temps, but according to reviews I have read it does not perform well in the cold as claimed. I guess I will have to go with a blue laser. They seem more dangerous than a green laser (I don't really need, or want, to burn anything) but I still think it would be useful to bring. What about this one:

TANK 445nm - 1W Adjustable Focus Blue Laser Pointer

It does not say it is waterproof but looks like it could survive a drop in the snow.

okey haha for the price i think it is the best:p

Still no.

Wow, never knew green lasers were so sensitive to temperature. I found this one:

ND3 Subzero Green Laser Designator tactical missions in cold weather | Laser Genetics

that claims to work in 0 degree F temps, but according to reviews I have read it does not perform well in the cold as claimed. I guess I will have to go with a blue laser. They seem more dangerous than a green laser (I don't really need, or want, to burn anything) but I still think it would be useful to bring. What about this one:

TANK 445nm - 1W Adjustable Focus Blue Laser Pointer

It does not say it is waterproof but looks like it could survive a drop in the snow.

You would be better off buying a laser off of a member here... while lazerer is great to deal with, and offers good support, I really wouldn't want to rely on one of those lasers in the middle of nowhere. They are not that well made, and have a relatively small brass heatsink.

InfinitusEquitas, thanks for your help. This went from thinking a high-powered laser pointer would be cool to bring with me to reading about laser operating temperatures for the better part of the night. I fear I have something new to suck money out of me! Anyway, what is your opinion on this w/ the optional copper heatsink:

http://www.survivallaser.com/Surviv..._-_Laser_Components_Only/p556088_2498177.aspx

Thanks again!

Last edited:
It's a good laser, although a bit too high powered for what you want. Even 500mW would be enough to provide a signal, would last longer, and you would be able to run it continuously a while longer without worrying about heat.

If you're in the US, Gary will not be able to sell you the bundle with a diode in it.

I suggest you take a look at the B/S/T section here on the forum, and maybe message a couple of the builders... Blord, Yobresal, Flamynpyro, DTR, Jayrob, none of them will steer you wrong. Lazeerer (member here, not associated with the lazerer.com company) can make you a laser with modes as well, but expect a very long wait.

If there is no rush, order yourself a cheap green laser ~50mW, to see how you like lasers in the meantime.

Read up on laser safety too please...

InfinitusEquitas, thanks again. I am in the US, so I guess I can't order it with the diode. Any idea how much a custom build would cost? It seems like it would be expensive. I agree, 500mW would probably be plenty for my needs. So it would be 500mW, a waterproof or sealed host, large heatsink. I would also like it to have a focus adjustment to I can get a wider beam if necessary. Any idea as to home much this would run? Can I just post a custom request in B/S/T?

Take a look at the B/S/T section, you'll probably find something you will like. If not post a WTB thread and you'll get a response fairly quickly.

Just fyi, to post a thread in that section, there is a 20 post minimum.

InfinitusEquitas, thanks again. I am in the US, so I guess I can't order it with the diode. Any idea how much a custom build would cost? It seems like it would be expensive. I agree, 500mW would probably be plenty for my needs. So it would be 500mW, a waterproof or sealed host, large heatsink. I would also like it to have a focus adjustment to I can get a wider beam if necessary. Any idea as to home much this would run? Can I just post a custom request in B/S/T?

May I make a suggestion to you--????
please go to your profile and finish filling it out- just saying in a post that you're are in the US is not good enough and NOT in your best interests-- where in the US ?? and if you add that to your profile we can see that in every post or thread of yours.

Next

take most of your advice from VETS- not those who have been here only a month longer than you.

I.E. has given you some of the best advice in your thread.

BTW your first thread SHOULD have been one introducing yrself and placed in the 'welcome' section- its only good manners to do THAT before you start asking for free advice.

Do the above and I will help you get the perfect laser for your uses, ignore my advice & you will get ignored back.. len
;)

well done!!

Let me find that link for you -- a waterproof 532nm - I tested one underwater and found no problems with it- it was shipped from USA too and the seller has an excellent rep- on all laser forums. IIRC it was close to 40mW which for a green laser is still quite bright and would make a great signal device for anyone in distress. If they are no longer selling these I will consider selling mine to you-- ~$100 used but VERY gently -- for sure less than 30 minutes .

hak