Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for a decently priced 5-50mw laser

mod101

So i have been lurking around these forums for a few weeks now and think I've decided to start buy my first real laser. Right now I'm looking for something that's not too expensive but I want to be able to see the beam and point around at night. From what i have read 5wm can point around at night but 30+ is most visible and best for pointing If anyone can recommend some lasers i would be grateful
(I was thinking about buying one of Swiminsurfers lasers but hes out right now and i havent heard anything about a new shipment :( oh well)

Right now I'm looking at
Silver chrome green laser 50mW/good finish [OLSGL50] - $29.00 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products
Optotronics Product Details
are either of these lasers good, i have heard good things about optotronics and their 5mw laser is a great price, is it worth it?

If not, anyone have any good 30mw recommendations?

Also one last question, If i was going to buy one of the kits i have seen everywhere would be able to throw in a green module
like this:
http://www.o-like.com/index.php?mai..._id=18&zenid=0633994b7e5f2c3313b14353dc2f7cab
and get it to work without any soldering (i have no tools nor experience)

Last edited:

Toke

You could also shell out a bit more and get a better host for it.

I just got this one from rayfoss for $40, it came with charger and cr123a battery.
www.rayfoss.com

mod101

Currently in the US, no DX for me :(
the rayfoss looks interesting, ill take it into consideration, thanks :D

X FLY

You could also take a look at wicked's E2 Series. I know that wickeds reputation is a bit fckd up atm because of the arctic fiasco but <100mW IR filtered and metered for 49$ is a really good price.

E2 Series from Wicked Lasers - Evolution Pro Series

I just bought two of these a couple of days ago, one for me and one for my cousin and will probably make a review when I get it.

mod101

The only thing i dont like about Wicked is that their shipping is so expensive, the laser end up being 70 instead of 50

I was looking at price angles and i think i may try out them for next laser after my 9$ ebay lasers arrive

Is 50mW the upper limit of what you want?
I've got a >75mW green pen sitting here collecting dust. It was used for testing and that's about it.
It is your typical "Newwish" brand pen.
With an IR filter, it will peak in the 80's or 90's and average something in the 70's.
I'd be willing to let it go for $35 shipped. I can also install an IR filter for no charge.

Last edited:

IsaacT

:undecided: I wouldn't buy a green 50mW from Rayfoss right now as they seem to be having a couple issues. Do so if you wish, I like mine, but the one I have now is a replacement of one that came with a Broken O-Ring, had Tail-Clicky fail(I had to fix it), and then died promptly one week after receiving it. :eek: It took 4 weeks for them to get me another one, possibly due to chinese holidays, and then when that one arrived, ~3/4 days ago, it had a broken O-Ring as well! :wtf: Hopefully everything ELSE about this one will stay good. :p

O-like.com would be a good alternative to Rayfoss if you want to wait and see if these QC issues blow over. I personally don't have any experience but they are quite reputable amongst the reputable members here and I would say that is good enough for me. :)

X FLY

The only thing i dont like about Wicked is that their shipping is so expensive, the laser end up being 70 instead of 50

I was looking at price angles and i think i may try out them for next laser after my 9$ ebay lasers arrive

PriceAngels should be good. Atleast its owner is very honest and will happily give you a refund or send you a new one if the laser has any problems or if its way underpowered.

So i have been lurking around these forums for a few weeks now and think I've decided to start buy my first real laser. Right now I'm looking for something that's not too expensive but I want to be able to see the beam and point around at night. From what i have read 5wm can point around at night but 30+ is most visible and best for pointing If anyone can recommend some lasers i would be grateful
(I was thinking about buying one of Swiminsurfers lasers but hes out right now and i havent heard anything about a new shipment :( oh well)

Right now I'm looking at
Silver chrome green laser 50mW/good finish [OLSGL50] - $29.00 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products
Optotronics Product Details
are either of these lasers good, i have heard good things about optotronics and their 5mw laser is a great price, is it worth it?

If not, anyone have any good 30mw recommendations?

Also one last question, If i was going to buy one of the kits i have seen everywhere would be able to throw in a green module
like this:
Green laser module 50mW For custom build or lab [OLGLM50] - $26.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products
and get it to work without any soldering (i have no tools nor experience)

i just bought and recieved a 50mw green laser from amazon it was 19.95 after shipping (i opted for the rush service) and it is amazing! the dot is bright as hell, u can see the beam clearly at night and it takes 2 AAA batteries, my only complaint about it is that it doesnt have a constant on/off switch and u cant see the dot on low lying clouds but for 12 it is amazing value! :drool:
the laser i got: Amazon.com: Green Laser Pointer 50mW: Electronics

X FLY

i just bought and recieved a 50mw green laser from amazon it was 19.95 after shipping (i opted for the rush service) and it is amazing! the dot is bright as hell, u can see the beam clearly at night and it takes 2 AAA batteries, my only complaint about it is that it doesnt have a constant on/off switch and u cant see the dot on low lying clouds but for 12 it is amazing value! :drool:
the laser i got: Amazon.com: Green Laser Pointer 50mW: Electronics

Are you sure it is 50mW? Do you have an lpm to confirm the output power.

Are you sure it is 50mW? Do you have an lpm to confirm the output power.

sadly i don't, but i can assure u that for $12 it is well worth the money and u wont be disseminated don't assume for a second that it can pop balloons or ignite or burn anything tho

IsaacT

sadly i don't, but i can assure u that for $12 it is well worth the money and u wont be disseminated don't assume for a second that it can pop balloons or ignite or burn anything tho

I imagine you meant to say dissapointed? :p

I imagine you meant to say dissapointed? :p

i took some pics with my ok quality webcam and it was able to vaguely capture the beam, and if its slightly visible on a laptop webcam then it must be pretty damn good in person
20101017005827536.jpg

thats as good of a pic of the beam as i could get with no smoke of any kind

20101017005731896.jpg

and thats a pic of the dot next to a 100w indoor flood light

***edit***
sry the pics are so massive :p

Last edited:

Vega

I have a few lasers you may want.
1 120mw green tested! =$60
1 50mw green penstyle with star tip=$30
1 150mw dual locking with focusing lens=$80
all tested!
very visible at and even with light on
ill also ship for $10 with fedex insured if you want.