Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Looking for a boost IC

Things

I'm working on a project at the moment where I need to be able to generate 5V from a single LiIon cell. But having a bit of a hard time finding an IC suitable.

Basically what I need is:

5V out from single cell LiIon
500mA current (preferably without heatsinking)
Active low shutdown pin (GND = off) (prefered, but active high can work too)
Load disconnect (load is disconnected from the battery when it's in shutdown)
Hand solderable package - basically anything but QFN/BGA/no exposed pins

Minimal external components, but not a big deal.

Suggestions? :)

Sigurthr

I am severely partial to the MAX1771, but I am heavily biased to "works for everything" solutions when it comes to ICs (which for boost means external fet). It's active high shutdown, though.

VisibleGreen

Banned
I was going to open a thread like this lol. I need a boost driver that will provide 7+ volts and around 190ma. Any suggestions?

ARG

I like the TPS61200 because it has an optional under voltage cutoff pin.
Can do 500mA without a problem
Has a (GND = off) enable.
Has load disconnect.
Minimal external components (5-8 depending on your configuration)
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps61201.pdf

The only reason you may not like it is the DFN package, but they are still manageable by hand with thin solder and a fine tip. If you plan on hand soldering just make the pads really long so any extra solder wont bridge.

Edit: Should mention that if you hand solder it may not be able to handle 500mA because the underside wont be connected. Easy enough to reflow though.

Last edited:

Things

Cheers everyone, I'll have a look. I've been looking at the tps61092, which granted is QFN but seems like a pretty neat chip, but seeing some better looking ones here :D