Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking at the dot of the Spartan 1W

Did you try looking at the dot indoors?
From which distance I can look at the dot without goggles when the background is white?
:thanks:

That depends if the surface is a gloss finish or a flat finish. For me I wear my glasses for anything under 20ft on flat white, a gloss finish reflects more light and I don't have any high gloss finish in my basement except for the ceiling.

DJNY

Good step, better to ask than to try it out.
I looked at a 1.2W on a white wall from 10feet, it was very uncomfortable and I stopped it after less than 2seconds. I highly suggest NOT to look at the dot without goggles when using the 1W 447nm Spartan indoors! It also won´t make sense at all to do this.

If I do turn mine on and point it at the wall, but it is very brief and usually after I change my batteries just to make sure I put them in the proper way. My eyes are bad enough after many years of welding and countless flash burns, I don't want to make them any worse.

With a white background I have found with anything closer than 50 feet I want to go get my goggles but that is just me.
Close viewing will always be doing at least a little damage. It isn't worth the risk IMO.

I could look at the dot forever on my Spartan because it never actually worked :whistle: :thinking:

As DJNY says, better to ask than to try it out and that's why I'm asking.
The other reason is that I think that one of the pleasures with lasers is to watch the beam and dot, so if you can't do it without goggles, what's the use?
:undecided:

Ive done it before on my 445 1W. Its not as bad as people say, I wouldn't look at anything under 5 feet though. I have burned with out goggles before, hit a reflection off of a window. No damage to my eyes. Dr. Certified.

It isn't going to blind you, but it isn't comfortable. Looking at the sun will damage your eyes, but I am sure you have done it before.

And that's why I ask for more opinion from those who have experience.

Jaxz

Even looking at the dot of my Spartan 1W at 5metres away, makes me feel uncomfortable, and that is at an angle of more than 30degrees.

Even with my Laserglow OD7 goggles, looking at the dot at 90degrees at 50cm away burning things already makes me feel aweful, that I want to immediately shut off my laser and look away. With images of blue spot whenever I open and close my eyes, as if I have just stared at the afternoon sun. Mind you, I am just burning things upclose with my Laserglow OD7 goggles and got this.

I just received my nospin LPM 2 days ago and finally able to test what the heck is with my Spartan. Results reveals that my output is at 1.1w average, and peak at 1.2w.

I suggest if you love your eyes, base on my encounters, don't even think about looking at the dot without goggles and even with a high OD goggles, don't even think about looking at it up close.

Dragonlasers are known to sell overspecs lasers, and is known to be stronger than Artic Spyder III, you might never know you got an overspec Spartan. So better don't play play with it.

Not to hijack the thread but is it ok to look at the dot 50 feet and beyond at night? I just got a yobresal 1.2 watt yesterday and am using it for general pointing.

its never really safe to stare at the dot. if it is a highly reflective surface it can bounce right back at you. why do you want to stare at a dot any ways?

michael.

I don't think hes staring at the dot, just if its OK to not wear goggles when pointing over 50ft, and yeah thats fine.