Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking at a new HDTV

iewed

Do you guys have any recommendations for a 65" LCD HDTV?

Price isn't an issue, but it needs to be at least 60", LCD because it will be used daily for hours on end, in bright light.

rkcstr

Very few manufacturers are making >52" LCD TVs because Plasma TVs are way cheaper to make at the large sizes, currently.  Out of the few manufacturers that do, they really only have 1 or 2 models that are that large.  Searching Amazon, I found only 2 such models:

a 65" from Sharp for $5150
http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-LC-65SE...?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1226235853&sr=1-12

and a 70" from Sony for $20k!
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Bravia-K...?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1226235882&sr=1-46

I'm sure there are others, but they will all be quite pricey.

EDIT:
found one Sharp model (looks like a slightly older one) that is more reasonably priced at somewhere around $3000-4000, model number LC-65D64U.

iewed

I'm looking to purchase right after Thanksgiving Day, so I'm considering a LaserVue (My first 473nm laser, and I won't be able to "use" it :() if they drop sub $5000. That Sharp Aquos looks very nice though.

iewed said:
I'm looking to purchase right after Thanksgiving Day, so I'm considering a LaserVue (My first 473nm laser, and I won't be able to "use" it :() if they drop sub $5000. That Sharp Aquos looks very nice though.

You will get to use it because the TV will most likely brake before the laser does.

--hydro15

iewed

Niko said:
[quote author=iewed link=1226212143/0#0 date=1226212143]Do you guys have any recommendations for a 65" LCD HDTV?

Yeah, start saving money.

Peace,
dave -- err......Niko[/quote]

I gotta grant.

iewed

robjdixon said:
You have a grant to buy a big ass tv? :-?

My younger brother (Age 10) is legally blind, along with some other stuff, and we received a grant to purchase things that can be used to help him, we need the TV because he needs text and other things blown up to a very large scale in order to see it. Primary usage would be as a computer monitor to help him with school work. I thought about a projector, but he can't see in the dark.

I used to be the head cheerleader for LCD over plasma but after having a couple for a year and a half They develop vertical banding. I looked around and this is happening to many many many LCD users. Mine isn't too bad. There is just one line going up the center of the screen where the color looks darker. It's hard to see but I know it's there.

yobresal said:
I used to be the head cheerleader for LCD over plasma but after having a couple for a year and a half They develop vertical banding. I looked around and this is happening to many many many LCD users. Mine isn't too bad. There is just one line going up the center of the screen where the color looks darker. It's hard to see but I know it's there.

I have seen this in a few LCDs over a year old.... Any idea what causes this? Does this happen with plasmas as well?

Ted

i know you said that you want an lcd, but at circuitcity you can get huge DLP tv's that are very cheap and excellent quality! i saw one new that was 65 inches, 1080p, 120hz, for only $1699! remember that it is dlp so it cannot be mounted on a wall but for that price who cares!