Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Look what I just found !

diachi

Ok, well my sister just arrived back from work, and kindly shouted up to notify me that there was a "thing" outside with fans and stuff in it.

So I went out to take a look, and on closer inspection realized it was a mini fridge ! a quick look around the back revealed that it had "something" like a TEC in it, attached to two whopping great heat sinks.

So I took a look around to make sure no one was looking and carried it inside !

I'll take more pictures later and post about my findings, until then, have a look at these horrible quality images. I am going now to get my hands COVERED in thermal paste.

-Adam

Attachments

• IMG075.JPG
    IMG075.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 89

diachi

Re: Look what I jsut found !

Attachments

• IMG076.JPG
    IMG076.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 81

diachi

Ok, well I took it apart, and between the heat sinks is a nice big TEC ( 4cmx4cm ) and in one heat sink there is also a large thermistor, probably for temperature control.

I'm going to power up the TEC and see what happens.

-Adam

nice find, hope it works for whatever you want to do with it :D

I can tell you what will happen :D Depending on the power, quite a hefty sum of frost crystals will start gathering on the cold side (provided the hot is adequately heatsinked), TEC's are great fun.

Nice find :)

diachi

Quick question, what votlage / current should I run it at ? It does work .

-Adam

diachi

brtaman said:
I can tell you what will happen :D Depending on the power, quite a hefty sum of frost crystals will start gathering on the cold side (provided the hot is adequately heatsinked), TEC's are great fun.

Nice find :)

It has a whopping great heatsink ( 10x12 cm ). and a smaller fatter one for the cold side and thermistor.

-Adam

usually mini fridges like that run around 12v and 2 amps - the tecs are quite fun to play with although fairly on the small side as far as tecs go (you can find 320 watt monsters on ebay)

but since usually we're only cooling a diode that's using something like 1 watt total - these small tecs have no problem cooling them below freezing :p

diachi

I'm going to put it to 2A just now, which is nearly the max which my PSU can handle anyway.

-Adam

Yeah like mariomaster said in the 12v 2-3A area, for fridge TECs, but who knows could be more. An old computer PC PSU would work great with it.

diachi

Correction 1.8A and then it has trouble ( the current display has flashing dots on it ... )

hey put some insects on it then try to bring them back to life after they thaw

Ace82

I had one of those exact fridges many years ago!  it is powered by 12V @ 3amps Cool stuff, yeah, try what John Lawson said

diachi

john_lawson said:
hey put some insects on it then try to bring them back to life after they thaw

;D

Nice idea.

I also just found a fan that has thermal control on it, and gets faster when the thermistor gets too hot, I'm going to mount it on the hot side of the heatsink later.

-Adam

diachi

Ace82 said:
I had one of those exact fridges many years ago! it is powered by 12V @ 3amps Cool stuff, yeah, try what John Lawson said

I've got 2A ( @ 7.45V )going into the TEC now, i found gradually increasing my voltage allowed me to get higher current.

-Adam