Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Look over my project?

I posted this in my welcome thread, but I figure i'd get more help if I posted it here.

I'm not all THAT new to lasers, as I have a few green and red lasers from chinese websites, however. I want to build my own violet laser. Ive done a lot of reading here and it seems one of the cheaper violet diode options is the PHR-803T. Is this good to start building with? As its only ~$20 in the module I don't think its much of a gamble. I have a few questions, however.

If I buy this http://hightechdealz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=4, Would all that would be left to do is buy and set the driver (1) and get the power supply?

PS... Is there a way to set a driver without a dummy load? Or should I just go with one preset to 100-120ma? (any reccomedations?)

Ive done a lot of reading here and it seems one of the cheaper violet diode options is the PHR-803T. Is this good to start building with? As its only ~$20 in the module I don't think its much of a gamble.

The PHR-803T was the first blu-ray laser I built and is a cheap and low-risk way to get started with lasers.

If I buy this 405nm PHR-803T Blu Ray Diode in Aixiz Laser Module Housing [PHR-803T in Aixiz module] - $19.83 : High Tech DealZ, Simplifying the LASER Hobby!, Would all that would be left to do is buy and set the driver (1) and get the power supply?

Yes, pretty much once you have the module, all you need is a driver and a power source. Although you will need some additional tools to put it together. You will need a soldering iron to solder wires to the diode, and a multimeter to set the current. It doesn't hurt to have a pair of "helping hands" for soldering either.

PS... Is there a way to set a driver without a dummy load? Or should I just go with one preset to 100-120ma? (any reccomedations?)

A test load is not absolutely required, but its a good idea to have one anyway. Making a test-load is pretty cheap and having one will prevent you from setting the current too high.

Nass

i would say that without a test load.. ur gonna wind up blowing ur diode.. happened to me.. i think i spent.. 5 bucks getting the stuff i needed to make one.. its not pretty but it gets the job done.. also.. a PHR-803T was my first build.. very simple to make.

dont forget that u are also going to need a host.. i used the Dorcy Jr flashlight as well as many others. its very simple to build and took me (this being my first) roughly 2 hours (after i realized i had the wrong heat sink) dont forget a heat sink!

Thanks for the help. For a host, i'll probably just use a project box as it has a lot of space. May not be as pretty as a flashlight, but it will make things easier for my first build. Would mounting a resistor after the driver lower the possibility of blowing the diode from oversetting the driver?

The driver provides the current it is set at to the load. Adding a resistor between the driver and diode would have no effect as the driver would raise its' output voltage in order to get the load to draw the set current. A large enough resistance value would cause enough voltage drop that the driver would drop out of regulation and be unable to supply the set current. This defeats the purpose of the regulator. Just get the 5 1N400X diodes and a 1 ohm resistor and make the test load. Why risk a diode? The test load will be useful for each laser that you make.

Nass

The driver provides the current it is set at to the load. Adding a resistor between the driver and diode would have no effect as the driver would raise its' output voltage in order to get the load to draw the set current. A large enough resistance value would cause enough voltage drop that the driver would drop out of regulation and be unable to supply the set current. This defeats the purpose of the regulator. Just get the 5 1N400X diodes and a 1 ohm resistor and make the test load. Why risk a diode? The test load will be useful for each laser that you make.

Agreed.

Lol!
I thought this guy was Icelandic because of his name but he says he is from texas!
sry!