Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Longest throw

Hi everyone,

I would just like to ask what the longest throwing laser (range) you know of as I am looking to buy a new green laser but with a further distance, any recommendations?

Thanks! :yh:

DrSid

Well .. since beam expander decreases divergence .. it's kinda redundant statement ..
But higher power will of course increase 'throw' ..

TheDukeAnumber1

Well .. since beam expander decreases divergence .. it's kinda redundant statement ...
I don't follow. Laser with less div = more throw. Laser with less div + expander = even more throw.

redundancy = repeats something else and is therefore unnecessary

Max throw = less div + expander : Therefore necessary.

:)

Bionic-Badger

Throw like this?

Yeah, get a beam expander, and a powerful laser.

Actually, you don't really need really a powerful laser. Even an average green will be visible on targets a long distance away if you look hard enough. It may not be as good as a laser with a beam expander, but it'll go a pretty good distance.

DrSid

I don't follow. Laser with less div = more throw. Laser with less div + expander = even more throw.

redundancy = repeats something else and is therefore unnecessary

Max throw = less div + expander : Therefore necessary.

:)
I mean .. expander only lower divergence. Max throw = less div * more power. And one way to lower div is to use expander.

Nprlaser

Typical red wavelengths are easier for our eyes to process, so I'd say a very powerful 635nm red laser shall do some throwin'.

crazyspaz

Typical red wavelengths are easier for our eyes to process, so I'd say a very powerful 635nm red laser shall do some throwin'.
Uh...our eyes are more sensitive to green if you are going to classify it that way- peak sensitivity is 555nm...Not sure what you mean "red is easier to process".

Nprlaser

Uh...our eyes are more sensitive to green if you are going to classify it that way- peak sensitivity is 555nm...Not sure what you mean "red is easier to process".
I understand what you mean when green is the most sensitive, but if you compared a red and green laser dot, which color would come out clearer, regardless of brightness? That's why blue and violet lasers lose sharpness in the visibility, ending up more blurry.