Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Long overdue review: Blord 445 501B Laser

Hello all! Been a while since I was here but my life was pretty hectic the past year, but now that its all settled down I'll be making a comeback.

Anyways, I have a bunch of lasers I've never reviewed, and I thought it would be fun and informative to do a review of them now that I've been using them for a year.

So without further ado, laser #1:

Maker: Blord
Model: 1.5 Watt 445 501B w/ copper heatsink

pA9QFE1l.jpg

So this is my most powerful laser, which I got after my Sci-Fi 501B died and it became apparent that I was never getting a replacement. Ordering from Blord was easy and hassle free. He replied to all my messages quickly and clearly, answered all my questions, and the whole process of purchasing my laser took only 4 PMs back and forth between him and I.

Shipping was as expected, I believe it took around 2 weeks or so to arrive, and the tracking number provided proved to be accurate.

The laser was well packaged and arrived unblemished and in full working order.

The laser is very well put together. All the threads are tight, nothing is loose, and it has a solid weight to it thanks to the copper heatsink. The laser is advertised as 1.5 Watt class but metered in at 1.7 Watts by both Blord's meter and my own.

The beam is clear and free of splash and other defects. Divergence is decent owing to the 3 element glass lens used. The dot is round when focused but becomes a bar when expanded, as is common among high power 445 diodes.

This laser has held up well over the year. I've taken in on several camping trips and photography shoots and I'm pleased that everything is still tight. There are a few chips in the anodized finish, but nothing I wouldn't expect from how much use its seen.

GxTE8DKl.jpg

These bumps at the front seem to be a common point of wear on 501B hosts.

One addition to its age, the front exposed face of the copper heatsink seems to have tarnished. I'm uncertain if its because I stored it improperly or this is normal for a raw copper finish, but its certainly no fault of Blord and doesn't negatively affect the lasers functionality.

NpKtgbQl.jpg

The front almost looks like brass now. I imagine this could be polished back to a copper finish if I wanted to.

Seller: 5/5
Laser functionality: 5/5
Laser build quality: 5/5
Laser durability: 4/5
Beam quality: 3/5
Value: 5/5

Overall, the combination of build quality, laser power, excellent customer service, and the excellent copper heatsink make this a hard laser to beat for the price.

GSS

Blarg, like the idea of doing a review after having used it for quite awhile rather than straight out of the box:)
Have noticed before on your sig that its your most powerful and glad too know its getting some good use and keeps ticking. I like the beat up look as thats what they are for and your the first that iv'e seen that mentioned what wears out first on these 501b hosts;)
Blord favors the copper sinking I see and even though my SciFi unit got a new lease on life I should of gone with Blord in the first place. Nice little review.

Last edited:

Pman

All hail the Blord! Sure wonder what's going on with him now. Looks like you got a good diode in there. In the pics the sink looks more like aluminum. Would be pretty easy to get that nice shine back but its a well used unit and not a display piece. Welcome back, a lot of things have happened around these parts in a year;)

Its good to be back. I do agree I like that my lasers show they've been well used. It makes it easier to justify the cost when I take them everywhere ;)

Yeah I come back and find out about the whole Sci-Fi lasers thing. Its both impressive and sad how Sci-Fi went from one of the best to one of the worst.

Does blord still make lasers? Must be a pretty old unit. I am extremely guilty of improper storage. I keep all my hand helds in a zip up snap on bag from my electric driver.. including my 589.. I went camping at the begining of the summer with some friends.. we went on a late night drunken walk and I decided to bring my mace of doom host with the 1watt 520.. it was a rough night. I fell in a bush and it fell out of my pocket.. searched the next day for ever and no sign.. I came back two weeks later and ended up finding it. It had been heavily rained on and for whatever reason it still turned on and still works to this day. But I abuse most of my things. Like bad.. I always have to find the limit.

Glad you unit still works.

Reactions: GSS