Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Live and Learn

Xyrax

Well, I'm building my first DIY Blu-Ray. Had it working at about 100mA mounted in an Aixiz module with a heatsink and a rckstr driver. The dot when focused had a ring around it so I though maybe the LD wasn't presed into the module flush (it turns out it wasn't pressed in completely). When I attempted to unscrew the module i heard a little snap  :'( . One pin broke off of the LD flush with the diode so fixing that is not an option. Also, one of the pads lifted and broke off the driver board (luckily this is fixable with a small piece of wire).

I should have known my first build was cursed when I was pressing the LD into the aixiz module with a C clamp (don't have a vice) and the barrel started turning and I didn't realize it so all the LD pins twisted (the PCB was still soldered to the pins). This undoubtedly weakened the pin which directly contributed to it breaking off (and is also why I didn't try pressing the LD in flush. Didn't want to do any more damage). I was surprised the LD still worked after untwisting the pins. Now for the hunt of another 803T LD. This time I ordered a full range rkcstr driver pre-assembled instead of the kit.

Does anyone know where I can find an 803T that isn't overpriced?

First of all, welcome to the forum!
Second, here's the cheapest place you can currently get a PHR803T diode:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1216205287
It looks like Daedal isn't responding at the moment, so you may have to wait a while.
Third, Yes, I broke my first 3 PHR803T diodes... First one died because I hooked it up to a battery without a driver... Second one died because of a loose wire, connected to the driver caused the capacitor to charge up and send a jolt of electricity into the diode.. Third one died because I was mounting a switch onto the driver with the batteries in, (But the switch was turned off) and there was a wire sticking out. So I cut the wire and when doing so I shorted the positive end of the circuit with the wire cutters..
I feel your pain. :'(
200th post :)

Wow, I think all first builds are cursed. I was to have all of the parts I needed for my first Blu-Ray awhile ago but due to a broken diode window and a broken DX charger my dreams are shattered until I make some more $$$. I didn't know that you could leave the PCB on the pins, thats what I will probably do until I get better with solder.

GL with your second attempt,

With a little surgery, you may be able to "butt solder" a wire to the broken stub. Others have done it in the past. Quick solder to limit heat and use something like #30 wire.

Mike

Xyrax

Hemlock Mike said:
With a little surgery, you may be able to "butt solder" a wire to the broken stub.  Others have done it in the past.  Quick solder to limit heat and use something like #30 wire.

Mike

Unfortunatly in this case it really is flush. No nub no nothin'. Actually it looks like it may have broken a little more than flush (recessed). If there was a little nub then I'm sure I would have been able to do something but in this case I'm SOL. :-/

You can fix it!!!!

Which pin is it??? The GREAT thing about these diodes are that they are case neutral!! This means, whichever pin is broken off, just add a big blob of solder to it until it touches the case, then just solder the wire from the driver onto the pin without the 'black circle' around it, or anywhere else on the case. fixed! :D

Xyrax

GooeyGus said:
You can fix it!!!!

Which pin is it??? The GREAT thing about these diodes are that they are case neutral!! This means, whichever pin is broken off, just add a big blob of solder to it until it touches the case, then just solder the wire from the driver onto the pin without the 'black circle' around it, or anywhere else on the case. fixed!  :D

I'll have to try that. Thanks for the info.

You can fix it!!!!

I couldn't agree more, I have done it with one of mine..... Remember to isolate the module if it is the positive pin that has broken off though....

Regards rog8811