Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Little Yag

I recently got my "little yag" from Heruursciences. This is reported to be an SSY-1 with passive Q switch.

I powered it up last night with about 18 J input and it will pop a balloon at a foot easily even without a lens. The beam appears to be about full rod diameter showing burns of a little over 1/8".

I lowered the input to 12.5 J to protect the Q switch and put a super nice focusing lens with a FL of about 1.5" in front and it makes plastic go POP. However, I looked at my lens this AM and the glass couldnt take the power - I chipped it both sides :-(
I may have to build a two lens columinator for it because I can't seem to get a single lens from a red diode to work.
Any suggetions ??

Mike

S

SenKat

I would suggest maybe a more robust lens ? Not sure where you would get one for that beastie, though...do you think the heat built up in the lense, and made it pop ? If so - possibly some cooling ?

This is a heavy lens. About 1" diameter and about 0.375" in the middle - DCVX style. It has tiny damage chips on BOTH sides.
I used plain old cheepies for my big laser 20 years ago. They didn't do this. I may have the wrong kind of glass - I don't know what it is.

I used two lens columinators years ago but would sure like to have something like a red has with a single lens.

Mike

You can often get surplus YAG optics at decent prices on eBay, otherwise you may be easily paying $100+ for true professional grade stuff.

I've heard of people using the lens(es) from a camera/camcorder.

never tried it though.

Phaz --

I haven't worked on this project for a while but the lens has to take a "whack" -- It will pinch pin holes in alum foil !!

So many lasers -- so little time !!

Mike

hi
just placed a bid on a nd:yag rod 50x3mm
the beginning of my first yag-laser hehe... (private; at work i use 2kw)
suggestions/remarks are welcome when building one...

Will -- I think I've seen these rods on Ebay. They are from the SSY-1 usually. You will need mirror and output coupler. I've also seen these parts plus flash tube there.
For pulse work, It's hard to justify a cooling system.

Mike

Ashton

I've heard you can pump YAGs with IR diodes, is this true? what's the benefiet to an IR diode pumped YAG vs a flash-pumped yag?

I looked at buying one myself, the rods are so cheep, but as you add up all the parts the pricetag just goes higher and higher!

this rod comes with or optic; i got the hr aleady.
i take the laser at work as my example: i know now how to make my own watercooled cavity (comes in handy working in a sheet-metal processing company).
Plus i've had a course in germany how the yag-laser actually works.
except for the q-switch...
how in #$% godsname does that thing work? :-?

ps i have to change every 3 months the 8 lamps (krypton filled) from the yag laser at work..
is there someone who would like to have some to do experiments or so? (10,000W light power evry lamp...)
it's for free, otherwise i throw em away (they still work when i exchange them)

L

likewhat

Ashton said:
I've heard you can pump YAGs with IR diodes, is this true? what's the benefiet to an IR diode pumped YAG vs a flash-pumped yag?

I looked at buying one myself, the rods are so cheep, but as you add up all the parts the pricetag just goes higher and higher!

This is how your handheld green laser works, except instead of yag it is yvo4. You can pump it with 808 nm diodes.

The second shot of my homebuilt YAG and the q-switch went to heaven. No big loss though. You can remove the q-switch easy enough. Just takes some patience. You'll know when. Look down the rod and you will see an aberration in the center. Remove the reflector assembly and you will see the q-switch. It is glued in place so it takes a bit to get it out.

I dumped 364 J into the flashlamp if my math is correct (1/2CE^2, or (1/2)(.003600F)(450V)^2 = 364.5 J)

Ashton

wilfred1970 said:
ps i have to change every 3 months the 8 lamps (krypton filled) from the yag laser at work..
is there someone who would like to have some to do experiments or so? (10,000W light power evry lamp...)
it's for free, otherwise i throw em away (they still work when i exchange them)

Let me know if you stop, I'm interested, but as of now I dont have the money for the YAG (still trying to decide wheather to get that or the CO2), how much would shipping be to 30528, USA?

L

likewhat

Oh, I guess that could be easily destroyed. I use an AOM for Qswitching, it has a much higher power handling, not as cheap and easy though.