Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Little help needed regarding youtube discussion

Hi guys,

Someone on a YT video was talking about the IR diodes in DVD burners, and how they can't burn. I disagreed, as I have one in my posession, but he has "I've taken more DVD burner drives to bits that you have blinked," and therefore is so obviously correct. I thought he was a member on here, but I can't find him, so i guess he isn't.

Please can a couple of people correct him, so that people aren;t given the wrong info, and because people like that piss me off quite a lot.

Here is the link to the vid:
Clicky

k1kb0t

Hey Rob, there is an Asherz on the forum. The one posting on Youtube is Asherzi, not sure they are the same person.

Jon

It didn't go in the right place, but it's there, always glad to help out against a troll like that... :)

Hey Rob, there is an Asherz on the forum. The one posting on Youtube is Asherzi, not sure they are the same person.

Jon

That would be why I couldn't find him then. Oh well, as long as people are told the right info.

To the rescue ;) ! Might also want to mention that the colour of the spot in the video is not red, and you can indeed see it burning, therefore the IR diode in the drive must be putting out at least 50mW...

Asherz

Well I stand corrected then.

Sorry that was me and looking back I look like a prick, I seriously could of sworn that most of the diodes I have gotten from DVD drives have never burned, I must of been driving them below the current they needed then.

Well again I do apologize, my mistake completely and turned out I was giving advice that I hate on youtube, there is nothing worse than giving out false advice and now I hate my self for it :p

No need really to post an entire thread on it hating against me though, guess I deserve it :)

Well, at least you stood up for it, unlike most. This kinda anulls the wrong advice in my eyes, plus I tried to keep my comment as non-flammable as I could :)

Asherz

I just removed my comments, I don't want anyone getting the wrong advice, again I am sorry, and yea thanks for not flaming me :)

Dont worry about it. I just wanted to get the right info out. Reading my comments, I sounded like a prick too.

If you want the ir diodes to burn then they need at least 150mA. The pin-out is also different.

Rob

Last edited:
Well, that settles it then: another flamewar averted, thanks to ... humility, and acceptance :D
That said, I'm going to go hunting for a broken drive now :)
the last one I tore apart had a canless diode in it, if I'm any judge...

Asherz

Cheers for not ripping it out of me too much guys, as for that video argument Charlie I was also in that one :p But that one the guy was being too much of an idiot to ignore :p

This one made me laugh:

"so i put a m in by mistake that is because i type faster than you f***ing blink cunt and i was also stoned so f**k you ye"

Last edited:
@thunderbird, my proof-reading gets a little hazy sometimes. Have you seen the study with sentences being legible, as long as the syllables remain in the same order, and the first and last letter remain the same? I'm surprised you even picked up on that, are you a native English speaker?

I saw that idiot's response, to be honest his type have made me lose any faith in humanity. That level of stupidity doesn't deserve a response (or oxygen, if I had my way ;) )

Charlie, I'm not a native speaker, I'm from Hungary, the "Land of the Martians" :D
I just happen to like Ali G Indahouse, and he says that in the Parliament to the cabinet.

Ali G: R.E.S.T.E.C.P! Do ya even know wha it spellz?
Cabinet M.P.: Restecp?
Ali G: Yes, Restecp. 'Owz anyone out there meant to restecp each otha? If you lot in 'ere, don't even start restecpa-ing one another.

Hilarious line, IMHO :D

In class, we once had our spot of fun with our grammar teacher by writing something similar to the following text in Hungarian on the board, and asking her to read it. It took her surprisingly long...
"Did you konw you’re a guiens? Jsut the fcat taht you can atllacuy raed tihs psot porves taht fcat. The huamn mnid is so pufowerl it can dcodee tihs txet eevn tguohh eervy sglnie wrod is slepled iocenrtclry. The one cavaet is taht the frist and lsat lertets are pervresed in erevy wrod. Cidrgbame Uitesirnvy cetoudncd a sduty and fnuod taht the biarn deos not raed eevry snlige lteetr, but wodrs as a wohle."

---

As for the idiot on youtube, I say never stop to argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience... ;)

Asherz

I followed that apart from the "cavaet" word :)

I wish I could talk more than one language, I take French, well took I'm finishing my last day of final exams in two days. But I always struggled with it, give me some physics or long maths and I'm fine but a little chunk of French and I'm useless lol.