Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

List of Laser Diodes - 06/02/2021

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I have never seen a direct diode exceed 538nm ever in writing. 560nm is dream land for stable semiconductors atm. 539-598nm is a semiconductor void as far as I'm aware from researching.

Edit: And why is there a DPSS on a diode only list?

Edit 2: Research has been done with quantum wells with the same material CO2 lenses are made out of (ZnSe). That is all I've found. ~560-561nm. One referenced a picosecond diode. So not ordinary semiconductor tech to say the least.

Last edited:

Does anybody know the actual name of those 593nm laser diodes used in the spartan from dragonlaser?
These are DPSS modules produced by CNI. PGL VI series (12mm) were what they used in the pens, and the PGL-H (20mm)/H1's (26mm) were used in the PGL-III-A, III-C and III-M portable models. CNI only produces 593.5nm in the PGL-H1 series anymore... though they have been known to do custom orders for modules outside of their advertised lineup in the past.

I am in agreement on keeping DPSS separate. You can get DPSS lasers the size of a 5.6mm diode these days; but that doesn't make them a diode. The 560's that circulated around here were DPSS. Same for the 545s, 555s, 565s, 575s and everything between.

Typically you're only going to see a few manufacturers for DPSS modules we'd be shoving into hosts. Either the mass produced 532's you can buy for a few dollars, the high end CNI modules, maybe a lasever module, OPTlaser module or the more recent lasence modules. I'm sure there are others, but these are the big ones today that we'd be shoving into something portable. Even then, they'd more or less all be case positive, something we don't really have a steady supply of drivers for thus making them somewhat difficult to build with.

Encap

I have never seen a direct diode exceed 538nm ever in writing. 560nm is dream land for stable semiconductors atm. 539-598nm is a semiconductor void as far as I'm aware from researching.

Edit: And why is there a DPSS on a diode only list?

Edit 2: Research has been done with quantum wells with the same material CO2 lenses are made out of (ZnSe). That is all I've found. ~560-561nm. One referenced a picosecond diode. So not ordinary semiconductor tech to say the least.

Exactly, Curtis and Zraffleticket.
Is to be expected on an open public forum like LPF that people who do not know what they are talking about and/or don't know any better than to post conjectures about conclusions based on incomplete and unverified information will make posts to a thread like this one.

Re: 561nm, 589nm, and 593.5nm:
CNI China always was and still is the only manufacturer making compact DPSS modules in wavelengths 561nm, 589nm, 593,5nm for several reasons. They have always been expensive and never have been mass produced at any time either.
Everything ever sold by anyone in that range was just reselling CNI product. All of DragonLasers items are and always have been CNI made products that they resell.
It ss common sense easy to look at Laser Diode Source which has over 10,000 laser diodes, modules, and systems listed.
Without going past the home page anyone can see the range from 532 to 600nm is completely absent in the list of wavelength ranges. so... if in doubt see: https://www.laserdiodesource.com/ first.

From the 2001 researchgate article you can guess it all went downhill to nowhere in 20 years for a lot of real reasons.

Anybody who wants to see a list of DPSS laser wavelengths can have a look a CNI's extensive list of wavelengths on their home page : http://www.cnilaser.com/ and have a look at compact modules that could be used in a battery powered hand held here: http://www.cnilaser.com/Laser-Module.htm

Last edited:
Re: 561nm, 589nm, and 593.5nm:
CNI China always was and still is the only manufacturer making compact DPSS modules in wavelengths 561nm, 589nm, 593,5nm for several reasons. They have always been expensive and never have been mass produced at any time either.
Everything ever sold by anyone in that range was just reselling CNI product. All of DragonLasers items are and always have been CNI made products that they resell.
Are we certain only CNI has the ability to make 561nm modules/crystals? The modules lasence has listed look nothing like any of the ones CNI offers and are listed cheaper than the cheapest service I know of that CNI used to offer. They also appear to have more modules listed in the 555nm-561nm range in powers from ~3mW all the way up to class IV from a quick glance through their listings. All of these are listed surprisingly cheap and well below what anything even remotely exotic that comes from CNI. They even have a 50mW (possibly, not in listing but is in the custom spec sheet on the page) of 571nm listed for ~$240 for single quantities. Or 20mW in a 20mm module for just under $500. I'm going to guess they have temp issues and the same NLO is giving them the entire 555-575nm range skewed much more heavily towards 555nm.

Encap

Are we certain only CNI has the ability to make 561nm modules/crystals? The modules lasence has listed look nothing like any of the ones CNI offers and are listed cheaper than the cheapest service I know of that CNI used to offer. They also appear to have more modules listed in the 555nm-561nm range in powers from ~3mW all the way up to class IV from a quick glance through their listings. All of these are listed surprisingly cheap and well below what anything even remotely exotic that comes from CNI. They even have a 50mW (possibly, not in listing but is in the custom spec sheet on the page) of 571nm listed for ~$240 for single quantities. Or 20mW in a 20mm module for just under $500. I'm going to guess they have temp issues and the same NLO is giving them the entire 555-575nm range skewed much more heavily towards 555nm.
DPSS is not included in this thread as DPSS are not direct diode lasers > When and if those Lasence and Opt modules become available there willl no doubt be a thread about them.

There is an entire thread on those low cost low quality self-doubling crystal lasers from Lasence and Opt Lasers which you posted in here: https://laserpointerforums.com/thre...d-any-power-is-fine-starting-from-1mw.108105/

There is nothing available from either company according to Zraffleticket in the thread above and nobody reports any reply form either company that anything offered on Alibaba is actually available now, presumably they have the same problems with the crystal quality and supply as back 2 years ago.

Remains to be seen if there ever is new production if quality is any good/has improved or if they still have same disadvantages and quality problems with the crystals and the product as back in late 2018 when LPF members were getting a few low cost pieces.
Too good to be true usually is as mentioned before. That Zraffleticket says neither company have any in stock is not a good sign that there actually is any product supply.

Sounds like the same quality, crystal problems, reliability, and production repeatability/new product development problems song as 2 years ago.
Would assume those modules are not a business priority for them as the can make a lot more money a lot quicker/faster on other proven fully developed products with already established strong markets for those products
Would guess nothing is going to change much in the near future. The modules are on a "slow boat", it seems.

Right now CNI is the only reliable maker of traditional high quality DPSS modules in the range of 561 to 589 and 593.5 nm which they have been making since about 2008 and still make for anyone wanting one.

Try emailing them and asking if anything you are interested in is available in either CW or the 50% modulated PWM modules that they list on Alibaba a see what they say.

gazer101

Post the link for that $240 571nm :D

Why are the data sheets gone in the shared diode list?

Edit: I restored the list now to April 8 version. Stuff that anyone changed after that date has been undone, and hopefully that wont be hard to put back in by those affected.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
This is why I wouldn't allow my own data to be made publicly editable. Only takes one person to wreck months of hard work.
Shouldn't have to rely on restored versions.

Thats an obvious risk but still worth it, the list has way more value and use now. I have saved a good copy of the list and so can anyone else in case it gets broken.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Good, glad you have a back up yourself. Just whatever you do, make sure you help jnrpop maintain the lists integrity. Wouldn't want to see his hard work get destroyed in any way.

I've been slowly correcting and entering valid infomation up to 515nm (a lot of has been incorrect). What I can't confirm does not get filled in or changed.