Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Liquid Heatsink Material

Is there a decent thermal epoxy or similar material that can be used to fill out space in a host between an off the shelf heatsink and the head cavity of the host? What I'm thinking is that there might be a way of utilizing existing laser module heatsinks, rather than machining new ones, by centering the heatsink the host, and filling the gaps with a liquid thermal compound that would set like an epoxy, leaving the diode module free for removal when necessary, but the host head and heatsink a single cast piece.

Any thoughts?

ARG

I don't think anything exists for large gaps. Thermal paste is only good for what it is designed for - filling the microscopic gaps between two contact points.

USAbro

I don't know but try high temperature silicone caulk. It's worth a try and I know from experience, it dissipates heat!

Last edited:
The caulk idea is interesting, but I'd want to check out the thermal characteristics first, and see if it is mainly dissipative, as opposed to insulating. The trick is to avoid locking in the heat that the heatsink soaks up.

Indium foil.

There's a whole thread bout this from a few months ago, we had a member experiment with various filler materials.

From what I've been able to gather, heat transfer compounds must be applied as thin as possible to work the best, but I will keep my eyes open for something which can be applied that way and let you know if I see something.

@Cyparagon, I do know. I said I don't no of anything OTHER than high temperature silicone caulk.
I know it dissipates heat. No need to neg rep. You seem to have a grudge against me. You never +rep just negative.

Welcome to the club, he just negged me for just asking not to be attacked on my views regarding religion, he wants the freedom to freely do so, I guess. Thing is, my asking never took that away from him, he won't refrain from criticizing people when the mood strikes him whether you ask or not, obviously.

Last edited:

Encap

@Cyparagon, I do know. I said I don't no of anything OTHER than high temperature silicone caulk.
I know it dissipates heat. No need to neg rep. You seem to have a grudge against me. You never +rep just negative.

In all fairness , you did suggest that someone looking for a technical solution and technical help do something completely idiotic by saying " try high temperature silicone caulk. It's worth a try and I know from experience, it dissipates heat!".

What if the guy made a mess of his time, money, and efforts trying such a misguided stunt?

Last edited:
@Cyparagon... I said I don't no of anything OTHER than high temperature silicone caulk.

You are a scumbag and a goddamn liar.

You've got another -3 coming your way (when I can) for editing your comment and lying about it.

he won't refrain from criticizing people when the mood strikes him whether you ask or not, obviously.

crit·i·cize
ˈkridəˌsīz/

indicate the faults of (someone or something) in a disapproving way.

If you've got a problem with that, tough shit. :tired:

WELCOME TO THE INTERNET

Last edited:

ARG

...Two days after the original post. The original post didn't say that.

Yes, Silicon caulk is a terrible suggestion.
two days ago I was reading a thread on adding encoders to wheels, then it turned to putting magnets on the wheel and using hall effect sensors.
Someone suggested using JB Weld and another person replied that it could cause problems being that it contains metal particles that would be attracted towards the magnet, then the followed with the particles are to help with thermal conduction!

That was news to me!, live and learn :)

Yeah Silicone doesn't transfer heat but rather shields from it. USAbro you obviously don't have experience with it otherwise you would've known that. You really need to stop trying to give advice because it is always wrong. Not being mean but you seriously need to stop. If he took your advice he would have destroyed his laser.

With that said, It looks like there's no cheap way of doing what you want scifiguy. Indium foil would be too pricy though wouldn't it? Arctic silver would be too for the amount you would need. Arctic alumina is cheaper but it's exactly that, cheaper.

I asked around about this a few years ago myself and didn't find an alternative that was both cost effective and a great solution. Would be better to just machine the part.
Hope that helps put things into perspective.

USAbro you obviously don't have experience with it otherwise you would've known that. You really need to stop trying to give advice because it is always wrong. Not being mean but you seriously need to stop. If he took your advice he would have destroyed his laser.

+rep.

Gadget

Is there a decent thermal epoxy or similar material that can be used to fill out space in a host between an off the shelf heatsink and the head cavity of the host?

Check this stuff out.

https://tds.us.henkel.com/NA/UT/HNA...2579CF0062C670/$File/STYCAST 5952-1 AB-EN.pdf

There are other good, thermally conductive, silicone encapsulants available, but not regular "high-temp" silicone like from the auto parts store. "High-temp gasket sealer" silicone, as our resident expert USABro suggested, is more of a thermal insulator than a thermal conductor. Sure, it'll pass some heat, but it'll hold in a lot more than it will conduct.

FWiW,
G

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Here are a couple of aluminum filled epoxy products that I have used that may also work, but their cost would be prohibitive, especially for a one-time project.
Although these contain aluminum, and are excellant products, I don't believe their thermal conductivity would be anywhere near a solid heatsink. One good thing is they do get very hard, and are machinable.

1) Devcon
2) Loctite

IMO, with the all the machinists on LPF, and the reasonable rates they charge, a proper fitting solid heatsink is the best, and safest way to go. :)

Last edited: