Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Linear driver help needed

Hello guys!

Recently I have popped "yet another" laser driver by putting the batteries in the wrong way. The driver in question drives what I would believe to be a 2W 808nm C-mount. My current driver still works but overheats quickly and the laser output is MUCH lower and unstable. So it's not usable.

I attempted a repair on the driver with no result. )Close inspection revealed a popped SMD tantalum capacitor. I can get the part number and order a replacement but they are pricy!). So I found an electrolytic I had laying around and replaced it with that. Seems better but not a repair :/ So, since I'm not sure if I "only" blew a capacitor. I think I'd rather just replace the entire driver with a new one. I emailed Lasever to see if they could provide me with a replacement or sell me one. They never got back to me so I give up.

So does anyone know where I can find a driver that's capable of handling a 2W IR C-mount? Preferably one that will fit inside my host (20mm in circumference or less IIRC)?

I would be open to the option of building one but, I'm not really good at reading schematics.

Let me know what you guys think my options are. Below is some additional info just in case you need it! Thanks in advance guys! Much appreciated!

Laser module is a 500mW brass module. (Jayrob metered these @ 700mW on startup)

IMG_20121009_175348.jpg

IMG_20121009_175232.jpg

IMG_20121009_173108.jpg

Try putting the driver on a test load configured with 2 diodes. That will tell you weather it's the driver or the
whole module needs to be replaced.

Heh, the driver is definitely toast (or at least needs repairs). The module is fine as I was able to power it up on my lab PSU just fine. Even if the Module was toast, the crystals and everything should be okay so it would only have been a matter of getting a new pump. I've rebuilt DPSS modules before and they're not too picky about the orientation of the pump as long as the emitter size isnt too big.

Last edited:

ARG

IIRC a few people have dead modules with working drivers. Maybe try and buy one off of someone?

Have a link? Ive not seen any of those threads. If people have dead modules, I'd be interested in buying the whole lot as I can probably salvage the optics and crystals fpr other projects or even repair them.

Otherwise, I have most, if not all the parts here to do a rebuild. Almost everything except the switch and
board itself.

That module looks familiar... :p

Yeah the driver didn't have reverse polarity protection as far as I remember, so all said and done, you're actually very lucky. Could've been a whole lot worse.

Personally, you're better off attempting to build your own driver, instead of using that one. It had questionably small ICs that are supposed to take on 2+ Amps through them, with no heatsinking options. During my testing the laser, driver itself got amazingly hot.

That module looks familiar... :p

Yeah the driver didn't have reverse polarity protection as far as I remember, so all said and done, you're actually very lucky. Could've been a whole lot worse.

Personally, you're better off attempting to build your own driver, instead of using that one. It had questionably small ICs that are supposed to take on 2+ Amps through them, with no heatsinking options. During my testing the laser, driver itself got amazingly hot.

Explains why the CNI 589 module drivers got so bloomin' hot- same driver, just more current draw.

Also, wouldnt just a buck driver, blitzbuck for example, work? Or are they incapable of supplying low enough voltage out? (Iirc, these pump diode only take like 2v)

Explains why the CNI 589 module drivers got so bloomin' hot- same driver, just more current draw.

Also, wouldnt just a buck driver, blitzbuck for example, work? Or are they incapable of supplying low enough voltage out? (Iirc, these pump diode only take like 2v)

I dunno what are the operating parameters of the blitzbuck, unfortunately. Just look up maximum current output, but I highly doubt compact buck drivers are capable of more than 2 Amps.

Two in parallel though... :rolleyes:

Last edited: