Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Line Generator and Collimation

So, I am still a newbie and only have three ~<5mW pointer-style handhelds, but I wanted to play around with some smoke/fog and a beam spread using a line generating optic. I ordered the Nova X-Series Lens Holder with the two little inserts for the line and beam focus knowing that it probably wouldn't fit over my existing (non-Nova-brand) pointers. My question is, can anyone recommend other optics vendors that might have larger lenses to achieve different beam modifications for visual enjoyment? I can always construct a make-shift holder that would work, but anything pre-fab might be easier. Just looking for ideas... thanks!!

laserline.jpg

Also, I don't might investing in a little higher quality because I would like to be able to re-use these in the future as my collection grows in both quantity and laser power.

Cheers,
Clayton

If you just want a line, get a cyclindrical lens. That wave-shaped lens you have is sort of like that, but multiple cylindrical lenses. You can get some higher quality glass cylindrical lenses at Surplus Shed (search for "cyl"); Laserlands also has some cheaper ones.

If you want patterns (stars, crosses, or other shapes), look to diffraction gratings or lens caps.

You can also mess with a lumia effect, but that's better for fixed lasers and a slow motorized setup.

Last edited:
Thanks, Bionic-Badger for the links! I'm going to start doing my homework. I appreciate it!!

For a bare bones line generator you can use
a laboratory glass stir stick.

Jerry